Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows virus on USB sticks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

windows virus on USB sticks

Hi all,

I'm fairly happy I have the right answer on this, but would like to get confirmation from the community for my own peace of mind. Here's the situation:

I have 3 USB memory stick that are all showing up on Windows machines as a folder, not a USB drive. As a result it is inaccessible. On suspicion of a virus, I have examined it using Mac OS X and found the presence of an autorun.inf file, which is 'locked', and a suspicious looking executable called cafgm.exe in the RECYCLER folder on the stick. The autorun.inf is displayed as a unix executable file in Mac OS X. I can delete the files fine, even though the autofun.inf is showing up as 'locked'

My understanding is that Linux/unix machines are immune to Windows viruses so I can just delete the files from the stick (since it is FAT32) and all will be well again. What I would like to do however is examine the autorun.inf to confirm that it is indeed causing the abnormal mounting behaviour observed in Windows.

So what I would like confirmation of is that using cat to display the contents of the autorun.inf file in Terminal is perfectly safe to do. Ordinarily I wouldn't worry one bit about this, it's just that Mac OS X displays the file as a unix executable in Finder, which had me somewhat puzzled.

Can someone please confirm using cat to view the file is ok to do?

Thanks

Ben

Beans

Re: windows virus on USB sticks

You are correct. Linux/Unix is immune to Windows viruses. Removing and/or inspecting the autorun.inf is safe. You can also use the program "file-roller" to inspect the contents of the .exe, it will treat the .exe as an archive (zip,tar,etc)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I can confirm windows viruses cannot affect Ubuntu (or linux) but could infect windows machines (if you care about that sort of thing LOL)

Try installing "ClamTK" (GUI version with & for Clamav) or "ClamAV" (Terminal version) if you wish to remove them in Ubuntu.

For some reason you have to type "sudo freshclam" in a teminal window (or Hold Alt + F2 keys down to update signatures but aside from an update button its fine. Only use on pen drives or home folder though, don't use it on Linux filesystem (Full system scan) as it suffers from "False positives" and could break ubuntu, don't set it to auto delete mode either you need to check whether its a "False Positive" before deleting.

It was originally ment as an email virus scanner but great for Usb drives or odd folders you suspect to be virused (Non system)
    Linux Mint 12 (11.10 Based) Gnome 3.0 User

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: windows virus on USB sticks

You also may consider simply formatting the drive to erase all of the data and reset the file system on the drive.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

A normal "autorun.inf" file is just a text file. You can look at it in a text editor if you prefer.

I'd use gparted to remove the partition if you're really concerned about a virus. Then format it on a winders box if you plan to use it with winders.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by pricetech View Post
    A normal "autorun.inf" file is just a text file. You can look at it in a text editor if you prefer.
    +1
    I'd be more worried about whatever programs/data the autorun.inf points to than its actual presence.

More info on autorun can be found here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoRun
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoPlay
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi all, thanks for your replies, that's pretty much what I thought.

Just to clarify the reasons for my paranoia regarding the autorun; I'm aware that they commonly exist and are normally nothing to worry about; however, this memory stick should definitely NOT have an autorun.inf present, as the stick was formatted immediately after purchase to remove all the bundled junk that came with it. That's what was making me paranoid.

Thanks again

Ben

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just use 'cat'. Cat won't execute the file, it will merely read it.

Actually I'd suggest using 'less' instead:

Code:
    less autorun.inf
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it's windows that creates the autorun.inf when you plug your USB in. Same for Recycled and other hidden folders. (I usually erase them from Linux and, indeed, they re-appear after plugging it to a Windows machine)

As windows is in charge of the file, that explains why so many trojans can access the file and make it point to their own virus executables.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by QuimNuss View Post
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it's windows that creates the autorun.inf when you plug your USB in.
    I have never seen windows do that. (i mean virus free windows)
    Have been using usb sticks in windows and linux since usb sticks came to market.
    ---
    Be paranoid. God is always building a better idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast