Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: firefox 3.6

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    6

    firefox 3.6

    Any word on when Firefox 3.6 will appear in Ubuntuzilla's repository?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,064
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: firefox 3.6

    Quote Originally Posted by ferric84 View Post
    Any word on when Firefox 3.6 will appear in Ubuntuzilla's repository?
    it was just released today. it will appear just as soon as i package it up and push it out to the repo, which will be within the next hour or so.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,064
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: firefox 3.6

    it's up there now - just give it a few minutes to propagate through the sourceforge file release mirrors.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    668
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: firefox 3.6

    Great! Is there anything I need to do, or will I get prompted to upgrade Firefox to 3.6?

    Thanks for Ubuntuzilla by the way; it's a big help. Recently I built a machine for somebody & put Ubuntu on it. Due to various problems with more recent releases of Ubuntu, I opted for the more stable (and longer-supported) but slightly old 8.04.3 LTS. Ubuntuzilla helped me get the most current version of Firefox on that machine easily.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: firefox 3.6

    It just showed up in the Update Manager for me. I didn't have to do anything special.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM, USA
    Beans
    48
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: firefox 3.6

    I had added the Mozilla/Firefox ppa repositories from Launchpad.net to my /etc/apt/sources.list a while back. After updating, I can install any version of Firefox via Synaptic Manager.

    I have been using Firefox 3.6 since it was in Beta 4
    and Firefox 3.7 since it was in pre-Alpha 1.

    I just updated to the Final Release of FireFox 3.6 today.

    I have found the newer versions of Firefox to be faster than Chrome browser.
    Only, problems are that many of the Mozilla add-ons, themes and extensions are not compatible with 3.6 or 3.7 yet.
    Registered Linux User: #497031 ... Registered Ubuntu User: #29051
    An Xfce Junkie | vrkalak at DeviantART | A Guide for Using a Help Forum

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,064
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: firefox 3.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Objekt View Post
    Great! Is there anything I need to do, or will I get prompted to upgrade Firefox to 3.6?

    Thanks for Ubuntuzilla by the way; it's a big help. Recently I built a machine for somebody & put Ubuntu on it. Due to various problems with more recent releases of Ubuntu, I opted for the more stable (and longer-supported) but slightly old 8.04.3 LTS. Ubuntuzilla helped me get the most current version of Firefox on that machine easily.
    if you're using the ubuntuzilla repository (rather than the old installer script), then as aysiu said, it should happen automatically, as for any other package updates.

    if you want to get it 'right now' you can open synaptic and hit 'reload', then the update will appear immediately.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,064
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: firefox 3.6

    Quote Originally Posted by vrkalak View Post
    I had added the Mozilla/Firefox ppa repositories from Launchpad.net to my /etc/apt/sources.list a while back. After updating, I can install any version of Firefox via Synaptic Manager.

    I have been using Firefox 3.6 since it was in Beta 4
    and Firefox 3.7 since it was in pre-Alpha 1.

    I just updated to the Final Release of FireFox 3.6 today.
    the only problem with the nightlies is that they tend to be less stable than the official releases.

    I have found the newer versions of Firefox to be faster than Chrome browser.
    Only, problems are that many of the Mozilla add-ons, themes and extensions are not compatible with 3.6 or 3.7 yet.
    the only addon that really matters (to me) (adblock plus) is, thankfully, compatible with ff3.6

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    668
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: firefox 3.6

    Unfortunately, things are not so simple for us 64-bit users.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    4,064
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: firefox 3.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Objekt View Post
    Unfortunately, things are not so simple for us 64-bit users.
    indeed, quite unfortunate. feel free to prod mozilla to produce 64bit release builds (though i'm sure they're already getting plenty of it).

    in the meantime, if you're still using the ubuntuzilla script, then you have to use the old update instructions, which you can see on the ubuntuzilla website on the 'ubuntuzilla installed script' page:
    https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawi...staller_Script

    or you could consider using the daily ppa, which provides 64bit builds (although it doesn't track releases, but rather the latest nightlies, so less stability).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •