Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firefox 3.6, wont start... ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Firefox 3.6, wont start... ...

Thanks for the feedback nanotube.

The thing is I am not running multiple instances of firefox. I even rebooted the computer to be sure.

That error message (and since I am not running multiple instances - at least not intentionally - that's what i'll call it) comes up the first time I run firefox after a fresh boot.

It comes up whether I run no-remote or not.

And aside from the segmentation fault the message was the same before and after deleting my profile.

Since I rely on firefox for several things from browsing to email to password storage to ftp. I can hardly have it throwing errors or warnings or showing any signs of instability.

Its the center of my workflow.

I know it should not be throwing these messages and as long as it is I will not be able to rely on it comfortably.

"if it does start and work when you remove the profile, that means it's working, so the actual problems were caused by something borked in the profile. (the warnings do /not/ mean it doesn't work)." I didnt say it meant it wasn't working. I said it would start but wasnt stable. and in fact further testing has backed this up. Simply opening the addons dialogue causes it to crash in one instanace, browsing a google search results page another and so on. This is a newly created profile with no addons installed.

And can anyone explain why this forum requires me to login 3 times before I have sufficient permissions to post. And then another 3 times before I can save my post. Seriously this is not a joke. For some reason this is what is happening (using latest version of opera)
    Last edited by ashgoodman; January 27th, 2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: further detail

Beans

I have the same problem with FireFox 3.6:

(firefox-bin:3223): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times

And I get the same error message with Swiftfox 3.6 too. They wont start.

This must be an Ubuntu-specific problem, because on my Fedora 12 FireFox 3.6 is running without any problems.

It is a little bit frustrating, since I naturally want a working FireFox on my system, but there are many good alternatives. Until this gets (hopefully) sorted out, I am using Chromium.
    I am running the FireFox-based GNU IceCat (version 3.5.7 of course) as a FF replacement. You can get it here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
    http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/3.5.7/

Oh, and I have no problem logging in/posting on/editing posts in the forum. (I'm writing this with IceCat 3.5.7)

We are certainly not alone with the FF 3.6 problem - I've seen comments reporting this on webupd8.org too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi Kupfer

Looks like icecat is having the same trouble:

:~$ icecat

(icecat-bin:3390): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ashgoodman View Post
    Hi Kupfer

Looks like icecat is having the same trouble:

:~$ icecat

(icecat-bin:3390): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times
    Did you try the 3.5.7 version? Because only older versions of FireFox or FF-based browsers like IceCat or SwiftFox are working for me.

I have now downgraded my FireFox 3.6 to the prevoius 3.5.7 version in synaptic.
    3.5.7 is working fine for me, only 3.6 doesn't want to start.

I hope someone with more Ubuntu experience figures out some solution - I'm just a regular user.

I looked into 'GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times' problems on the internet and mostly they were solved with downgrading libglib2.0-0. I tried taht but it isn't working in this case.

I don't need to have FF 3.6 right away, so I will be using 3.5.7 temporarily. But I do hope someone with more experience figures this out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am using 3.5.7 in firefox. Not 3.6

Tanks for your help anyway, but I think I'll have to find another solution

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i use swiftfox and this problem started a week or so ago for me when using swiftfox.

i thought that since my firefox was 3.5.3, and my swiftfox was 3.6, that it would be a good idea to upgrade my firefox to version 6 as well. it wasn't, now firefox won't start either.

what i CAN do is alternate between the two. if i load swiftfox and close it, i can't open it again, but i can open firefox. once i colse firefox, i can't open it again, but i can open swiftfox, but while this isn't exactly the end of the world since they are essentially the same program it is still a bit of a poor bug.

i read about the fact that deleting the compatibily.ini would fix this, so i made a little script to launch instead of just automatically running swiftfox.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    cp /home/will/.mozilla/firefox/dtqfi85t.default/compatibility.ini /home/will/.mozilla/firefox/dtqfi85t.default/compatibilitybak.ini
    rm /home/will/.mozilla/firefox/dtqfi85t.default/compatibility.ini
    swiftfox
    obviously everyone's profile folder (and home folder of course) will have different names than mine, but it at least means i can always load the program.

Well at least it seems I'm not the only one with this problem.

I just did a system update, and it upgraded my FireFox to Namoroka 3.6. I was able to launch it once, was dissatisfied with 2 useful add-ons not being compatible, went to download 'good enough' replacements for them, and did the standard 'restart to take effect'. Restart didn't happen, got the same terminal output as everyone else...

(firefox-bin:1919): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times

Uninstalled, did sudo apt-get autoremove a few times, rebooted my computer, reinstalled, nothing is working. Tried to install 3.5 again. No difference. I can get Namoroka to launch with an alternate profile, but I'd rather just clean my system of this garbage and get my 3.5 back. Is there any way I can do that? I don't know how to remove 3.6, and as I said, reinstalling 3.5 still gave me the same error when trying to launch. Still kind of a n00b here, so if there's a way to remove 3.6 and start with 3.5 again (even if I've got to lose all my settings, while I'd prefer not to; I backed up with FEBE about a month ago so it could be worse), help would be greatly appreciated. Google Chrome is a nice and fast backup browser, but I'd really rather not have to use it full-time - I want my FF, and I want my add-ons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok for everyone trying to fix this problem this is what fixed it for me.

The first thing i did was go to my profile folder at .mozilla in my home folder. (you have to go to View and check the Show Hidden Files box)I then found the profile i wanted to start and deleted the compatibility.ini file in that profile.then open terminal and type "firefox -safe-mode" then disable all extentions and start firefox.Go to tools-addons and click the extentions tab and enable each extention and restart till you find the one that is causing it to crash.For me it was Prism that was causing it but the remove was grayed out and I had to go to synaptic to remove it or use the terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I was having the same problem, turns out it is two different issues.

After some trial and error, I have discovered that the reason 3.6 won't start up is due to greasemonkey. The reason it is causing a problem with 3.6 is because greasemonkey seems to not auto-update when a new version comes out, most of us have pre-3.6 versions. I myself had a version from January of 2009. Looks like in 0.8.3 greasemonkey added a 3.6 compatibility flag. Updating manually from the add-ons website to 0.8.20100211.5 fixed this issue for me.

I fixed my GLib warnings by downgrading libglib2.0-0 and libglib2.0-data to 2.22.1-0ubuntu1, the newest one from karmic-updates (2.22.3-0ubuntu1) seems to be unstable. For those wondering how to do this, in synaptic highlight the package and under the package menu on the toolbar select force version (CTRL-E).

Hope this solves this for everyone.
    Registered Linux User #372745, Ubuntu User #9555
    HP Mini 110-1030ca, Intel Atom N270 1.6Ghz, 1GB DDR2, 160GB SATA 5400, Ubuntu 11.10 / Windows 7
    HP DV5-1334CA, Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T6400 2Ghz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, Vista 64-bit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123