Thread: Problem with firestarter / firewall lockdown

Beans

Exclamation Problem with firestarter / firewall lockdown

I have Ubunto 9.10 Karmic Koala with Firestarter as the firewall program. I've recently noticed that the access to internet through my computer seems to work perfectly fine even after pressing the "lock the firewall" button on it. According to the documentation, in the lockdown state, the firewall is supposed to block all incoming and outgoing traffic.
    Please help me to resolve this issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Problem with firestarter / firewall lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by Amit_Olkar View Post
    I have Ubunto 9.10 Karmic Koala with Firestarter as the firewall program. I've recently noticed that the access to internet through my computer seems to work perfectly fine even after pressing the "lock the firewall" button on it. According to the documentation, in the lockdown state, the firewall is supposed to block all incoming and outgoing traffic.
    Please help me to resolve this issue.
    I believe that Firestarter is no longer supported. Try gufw.

http://gufw.tuxfamily.org/index.html
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why do all the noobs automatically install firestarter? Where is this obvious popularity originating from? This program has not had active development for years, so I am just wondering..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rookcifer View Post
    Why do all the noobs automatically install firestarter? Where is this obvious popularity originating from? This program has not had active development for years, so I am just wondering..
    Really? Hehe..I've been using Ubuntu since Hoary Hedgehog and I didn't even know about that.

I've only just discovered ufw in the last couple of months. It's a pretty awesome little program actually.

-edit-

I only realised it had a GUI just now! Brilliant!
    Last edited by Mustard; January 23rd, 2010 at 08:48 AM.