Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any Acronis like software to backup?

Beans

Re: Is there any Acronis like software to backup?

Well, Linux is a bit different...

While on a Windows system it makes sense to back up the whole schtoopidt system with viruses spyware and all, it generally doesn't make sense to do that on Linux systems. Linux is Free. There are tons of copies available everywhere, e.g. mirrors.kernel.org, so backing up the whole system is a total waste of time.

In any case, if your system does get schtuffed up after a few years of use, then you would likely want to install the latest version not re-install a 3 year old version from backup. Also, re-installing from scratch only takes 30 minutes or so, which is likely much faster than restoring a backup.

Therefore, most Linux users only backup their data and maybe keep a tar ball of the /etc directory - if you installed something special then it may be useful to dig in the old configuration files for guidance.

Sooooo, rsync is your friend. Google for rsync and get to know how to use it. You very likely don't need special backup software at all. That actually explains why backup software on Linux generally sucks - since only newcomers develop and use it - the old timers know better!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are a new user and not comfortable with the terminal, try grsync, it is in the repositories. Once it's setup, it is just a matter of one click, and files are backed up.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Is there any Acronis like software to backup?

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Clonezilla is a great piece of software, although it looks intimidating, it is pretty easy to follow the defaults which work pretty well.
    I tried and tried, but could not get Clonezilla to work. It would go through all its setup and questions of everything you could imagine, then when I gave it the command to start backing up, it said there was no disk detected. Even though it had previously shown me all the partitions and had me specify what to back up.

It was too weird for me.

Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    If you are a new user and not comfortable with the terminal, try grsync, it is in the repositories. Once it's setup, it is just a matter of one click, and files are backed up.
    does any one know is it possible to boot with a CD when system doesn't boot and backup and restore everything without any problem?
    the most important thing about a backup and restore software is reliability as restore is the last choice ,is it reliable enough?
    Last edited by mrhellboy86; January 24th, 2010 at 02:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If your system is broken badly enough that it won't boot, it is usually quicker to do a re-install. Depending on how much data you have backed up, it may take several hours to restore it.

The last time I had to do a restore from a backup, I only backup my home directory, it took about half an hour to install the system, and 1½ hours to restore my home directory, which is currently sitting at 57Gb.

You can do a restore from backup using the Live CD, if you used rsync as it installed by default, if you used another program to backup you will have to install it first, it will be installed in ram, and disappear when you reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

I partialy agree with some of the comments about installing from scratch, except for the debacle with 9.10 (karmic) but that assumes that you have set up a seperate /home disk, and you have remembered to get the appropriate parts from /etc directory.

Currently as I mentioned recently I use Mondo for my home server, along with achiving the /home directory, because it gets the household running sooner, less agro from the missus and the rest of the family who have to run Windows.

Also as a newbie, at one time, I remember the panic, when the system would not reboot or files lost because of something that I had done.

Even for my base system I use Mondo even though I may use afio to recover the files from the archive sets.

My greatest problem is the lack of consistency of the CDR writing programmes. Brasero is ???, gnomebaker is a lot more reliable but sometimes says the CDRWs are OK but they are not.

With reference to the Karmic problems, I have not had time over the last month and a half to download new install disks and restart again, so the problems may be now solved but certainly the initial Upgrade was not upto the usual Canonical stanadards more like a Micro$oft upgrade. This is why my signature does not include a Karmic system.
    Last edited by jamesr; January 25th, 2010 at 04:26 AM. Reason: missed a t
    Best Wishes
    Jim R.
    Various PC's as Servers running Xubuntu 20.04LTS. , and other PCs & Laptops running Xubuntu as desktops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Well, Linux is a bit different...

While on a Windows system it makes sense to back up the whole schtoopidt system with viruses spyware and all, it generally doesn't make sense to do that on Linux systems. Linux is Free. There are tons of copies available everywhere, e.g. mirrors.kernel.org, so backing up the whole system is a total waste of time.

In any case, if your system does get schtuffed up after a few years of use, then you would likely want to install the latest version not re-install a 3 year old version from backup. Also, re-installing from scratch only takes 30 minutes or so, which is likely much faster than restoring a backup.

Therefore, most Linux users only backup their data and maybe keep a tar ball of the /etc directory - if you installed something special then it may be useful to dig in the old configuration files for guidance.

Sooooo, rsync is your friend. Google for rsync and get to know how to use it. You very likely don't need special backup software at all. That actually explains why backup software on Linux generally sucks - since only newcomers develop and use it - the old timers know better!
    I didn't really get you
    but I have installed Ubuntu 4-5 times in just a week
    and I didn't found it reliable to remain on my computer for years
    I expericed lots of problems reasons was : updating ubuntu, installing a fps game from repository and play with that, and powering off the system by power button
    and my grub were gone as simply as I couldn't even imagine
    so i think it is really crucial a full backup
    nevertheless, suppose I am using my Ubuntu system all well
    I installed lots of programs, lots of settings in the programs and I don't know
    a hundred customization things
    I don't want to do them all again
    the time is not worthless
    I didn't meant any insult to nobody no Ubuntu not any thing else
    I am just telling you that it is really crucial for Ubutu and ( as my experience tell me) all linux based system to have backup of your data
    the simples reason is that you will loss your grub just with a reset( Ya, it is possible I have expericed it with RedHat some years ago just a reset and the grob is gone)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi

Please read my previous replies,

Yes people do understood, unfortunately you are at the point where the learning curve is quite steep, so saving all of your mistakes may not be as useful as you think. Initially, in fact, I still do, I kept a log of all of my changes and why I did them. It was quite complete then , now I only record what I have installed and the changes needed.

Mondo does a bare metal install from CD's or DVD's
    Also can split a larger partition into smaller ISO's for burning later. See my other comments.

You mention reinstalling Ubuntu
    but I have installed Ubuntu 4-5 times in just a week
    and
    I installed lots of programs, lots of settings in the programs and I don't know
    a hundred customization things
    . It seems that you using Ubuntu 24 hours a day so a log book is invaluable.

You also said
    I am just telling you that it is really crucial for Ubutu and ( as my experience tell me) all linux based system to have backup of your data
    the simples reason is that you will loss your grub just with a reset( Ya, it is possible I have expericed it with RedHat some years ago just a reset and the grob is gone)
    I think is probably more important for Windows to have backups and that is why Acronis was developed for business use and that is why you have to pay for a copy. That is equally why I use Mondo for my server because I need it to be up and running again quickly and I may not remember how I configured something that I did 1 year ago even with a log book.
    Best Wishes
    Jim R.
    Various PC's as Servers running Xubuntu 20.04LTS. , and other PCs & Laptops running Xubuntu as desktops

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

+1 for a log book, especially if you are just learning. If you have to use the power button to shut down, usually booting from the Live CD and running fsck will solve most of your problems.

Boot from the Live CD, and once at the desktop open an Applications->Accessories->Terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo fsck -a /dev/sda
    Substitute your Ubuntu partition for the example above. Once fsck is done, reboot the system and you should be ok.

If your system seems to lock up, try pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a console where you should be able to shutdown without having to press the power button:

Code:
    sudo reboot
    will reboot the system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am really thankful of you all that are helping me stand on Ubuntu
    NOW I can see how the Community and the internet may support a thing
    and how valuable it is ,
    Is there any software for log book, or I should do it myself?
    I have experienced RedHat and OpenSuse before and still ubuntu
    but I didn't come to them academically
    Now I am studying a book of ubuntu
    so I did realize that the Community is very important for all linux based OSs
    really enjoyable unforgettable experience on this kinda community
    love you all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast