Thread: Stalls in video playback, 8.04 -9.10 inc', all players.

Beans

Stalls in video playback, 8.04 -9.10 inc', all players.

I've been trawling the forums for threads on this issue but so far, though the isssue is mentioned all over the place, have not found one marked solved. I've done a lot of reinstalling recently. Ever since the time of 9.10 being released I have also being getting stalls in all video formats and players, both from the dvd drive and files, all formats, on the hard disk. The sound does not stall and when the pictures kick in again they are in sync (so frames have been skipped ). If I go back, once it is running again I can play the skipped section normaly but soon after it stalls again. I also loose the controls in movie player during the stall. I have done clean installs of all Ubuntu versions from 8.04 to 9.10 inclusive and it is true of the lot. As until around the time of 9.10 being released this was not a problem. I am puzzled but can only assume that there is some bug in the codec which has got into the updates for all the ubuntu versions which I have tried. I do do the obvious things such as install hardware drivers and add mediabuntu repositories and have tried various players. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Beans

Re: Stalls in video playback, 8.04 -9.10 inc', all players.

Some additional information is that the indexing is messed up, espedially for totem, far more than it used to be on files. Ah well a day and no one posts, maybe no one knows. Looks like whilst Ubuntu is still first choice for most tasks for video it's simply not up to it for a while. Not a big deal. The machines got two drives so I'll just put Lenny 5.03 on the other and wait for updates or 10.04 to fix the Ubuntu one. This will be an issue for people with only one operating system though so if anyone does find a fix please post.