Thread: Nvidai driver 195 for Karmic and EN62000

Beans

Nvidai driver 195 for Karmic and EN62000

I have recently installed an Asus EN6200LE in my system specifically to get the tv out working. I originally installed the 185 Nvidia driver only to find it didn't support the card for tv out although it appeared to function in all other aspects. I have now tried to install the 195 driver only to discover that I cannot get it to load I keep getting "system errors: installed archives() failed". I have searched many web sites and bug reports to no avail can anybody please tell me what i am doing wrong when trying to install this driver.
    How do I set up 195 to run??

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Nvidai driver 195 for Karmic and EN62000

Try this HowTo http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1125400 . You downloaded the driver from nvidia?

Beans

I used the Synaptic Package manager to try and install the driver and also the Hardware Manager

Beans

I have read the link given in the reply and wonder if it's relevant to my problem?? I am trying to install the Nvidia 195 driver into ubuntu 9l10 (Karmic) with Kernel 2.6.31-18-generic.
    I am sorry if this going to be long winded but I though a resume of what has happened may help.
    I have tried to activate/install Nvidia-195 using Hardware drivers and EnvyNG both give me the option of activating nvidia drivers 96, 173, 185, 190 and 195, with 195 being the recommended driver. In both cases I get the message "systemerror: installArchives() failed"

I have tried to search my system for Nvidia-xconfig file but get the message that nvidia-xconfig can only be found in nvidia 96, 173, and 185.

I have tried using synaptic package manager to install all nvidia 195 drivers with the exception of the dev ones. Trying to install the glx package returns the following " E: /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-glx-195_195.30-0ubuntu1~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa5_i386.deb: subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 2"

Can anyone help or give me any further guidance as to where I am going wrong.
    I had assumed that this would be a straightforward operation as the required drivers appeared to be listed in Hardware drivers but obviously this is not the case, or maybe its just me.

Beans

I'm seeing the exact same problems. I'm really at a loss for what to do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Did any of you guys also upgrade to the 17 kernel?
    I noticed my nvidia driver wouldn't build. I believe my problem stems from the fact that I'd forgotten I was downloading a PPA version of the driver.
    I removed the PPA repository, updated/reloaded, and then installed 185 instead of 195. nvidia-xconfig just to put 'nvidia' as the driver again in xorg.conf.

Will post back what happens after a boot.
    Hearing I ask from the holy races
    From Heimdall's sons, both high and low
    Thou wilt, Valfather, that well I relate
    Old tales I remember of men long ago.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yep, that's fixed it. Here's how if you have the same issues, and you just need nvidia support in the short-term, troubleshoot the PPA's later:

Code:
    #1 Remove any PPA repositories from your sources list.
    Code:
    #2 Do an sources update/reload with the PPA's omitted.
    Code:
    #3 Install nvidia glx & kernel version 185 (I noticed 195 glx wasn't available after I removed the PPA repositories).
    Code:
    #4 Issue the command nvidia-xconfig as root.
    Code:
    #5 And finally just reboot.
    Hope this helps someone else...
    Hearing I ask from the holy races
    From Heimdall's sons, both high and low
    Thou wilt, Valfather, that well I relate
    Old tales I remember of men long ago.

Beans

Thanks for the help I can get 185 running easily but it does not support my graphics card and I really need either 190 or 195 to allow me full use of the card.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Beans

Problem solved the link http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-ins...epidhardy.html works provided you also carry out the comment posted by SAMD (note you have to correct each of the lines by using -- for the instructions instead of the symbols shown eg.

sudo dpkg-divert -–remove -–rename -–package nvidia-glx-185 -–divert /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

to

sudo dpkg-divert --remove --rename --package nvidia-glx-185 --divert /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
    Last edited by Ron Porter; January 22nd, 2010 at 02:39 PM.