View Poll Results: Ubuntu+CNR good or bad?

Voters
428. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is a great idea and I support it.

200 46.73%
  • This is a bad idea and I want no part of it.

86 20.09%
  • I will be willing to use it to aquire legal codecs.

109 25.47%
  • I will not ever use it for any reason

114 26.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 51 of 86 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Linspire Offer CNR for Ubuntu Users?

Beans

Re: Should Linspire Offer CNR for Ubuntu Users?

I would definitely support including CNR as an option. Although I probably wouldn't use it, i know many who would. I think it is good to provide option, and also compatibility with other linux distros. It is really nice to see a CEO of a linux company come to respond and speak to us, and after reading most of the posts (well, maybe 100 pages worth of them), and am definitely changing my mind about your company. I used to believe it was just in it completely for the money, but now I see that it is a good thing, and actually promotes open source. I respect your position very much, and wish you good luck in the buisness.

I just have one stupid unimportant question: Will there be a port of CNR to gnome? I know linspire is primarily KDE based (with some exceptions, such as mozilla pro(ducts)(jects)), but with ubuntu, its pretty much all gnome based (not considering kubuntu). I just think it would be nice to see a native version that matches with gnome users themes.
    Last edited by dmb; March 4th, 2006 at 02:30 AM.

Beans

Hi, I voted for the 2nd option, although it did not completely represent my opinion. Although it would be fine for me if Linspire made a CNR for Ubuntu users, I don't really agree that Canonical and Ubuntu Foundation should give it any kind of special support.

The reason is that, for me, freedom in computing matters, a lot, and for Ubuntu to support more ways to install non-free software than it already currently does, would be a step back. For many reasons, one of which is that Ubuntu is one of the most visible and oustpoken "distributions" which is outspoken about freedom in computing.

There are still pratical incoveniences to using a 100% free system, but the most important and limiting ones right now are closed formats, proprietary codecs, and the dumbness of software patents and USA's DMCA (and in the future, DRM). This makes it legally impossible to freely distribute wmv,quicktime,mp3,dvdcss,flash, and java. Hope I'm not missing any important other.

With respect with the wmv, quicktime, and mp3 codecs, I would say "vote with your feet". Don't support them. Don't make your videos and music on any of these formats (use ogg vorbis and ogg theora, for example). Only buy a gadget media player if it supports these formats (yep, that leaves ipod out). These codecs are patent free, licensed under a bsd-like license, and encoders and decoders for them are natively supported in ubuntu, any other linux distribution, and natively or via a plugin by windows and OSX players.

The remaining ones are flash and java: alternatives for these are being developed (GCJ, and various flash projects).

To finish, I myself need to have some of the previous ones installed to fully enjoy my computer (specifically, I have flash, java and libdvdcss installed. That means no w32codecs, people I'll yet have to see for how long can I keep me from installing these) but I'm also strict on allways making videos, musics, documents, etc., which don't force other people to do the same as I have.

So, my point is:
    I think the current "RestrictedFormats" wikipage on ubuntu is suficient to both help users get these things and explain them why and how restricted are them.
    Linspire with CNR, and any others, are welcome to support Ubuntu, but this shouldn't go the other way around, Ubuntu supporting CNR.

Hope the text is not too rambling and confusing...
    Last edited by jobezone; March 4th, 2006 at 02:34 AM.
    Are you into the White-Plastic Life-Style?

Beans

Oh dear, I appear to be lost. It's very possible as I haven't posted for some time. Please tell me, are these still in fact the forums for the Ubuntu Linux project? The one that proudly states on its front page:

"The team behind Ubuntu makes the following public commitment to its users:"

Ubuntu will always be free of charge, and there is no extra fee for the "enterprise edition", we make our very best work available to everyone on the same Free terms.

"Ubuntu is entirely committed to the principles of free software development; we encourage people to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on."

Or has it changed into something not entirely unlike the raging horde of commercial ventures in the world today? Because from the sounds of this, there will indeed be a defacto "enterprise edition". Last I was here, Ubuntu was a special project for the entire world, rich and poor, on both sides of the digital divide; a project that made committments to its users and stood firm by them, much as Debian has done for over a decade.

No no.... I couldn't possibly be on the right page. A thread with an idea like this would not have been seriously considered when Mark Shuttleworth's generous vision of a different world for the future began this project. Its users would have seen this as not merely "a question of choice" (in package managers/software) but rather a fundamental change of principles. Ubuntu users would be able to see past the "it's only 20 dollars" to understand that no, it's much more expensive than that. Commitments and principles like the ones on the front page of Ubuntu Linux are priceless.

So pray tell, are these pages the Ubuntu forums? The ones that I once knew and respected? Or have I inadvertently stumbled across the forums for Ubuntu Ltd. - the Enterprise Edition - a division of Linspire Inc. ?

If so, my heart is saddened by the loss.
    Last edited by weekend warrior; March 4th, 2006 at 02:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

*John*

Personally I think that it is the freedom that is important when it comes to Linux.

With windows you don't have any real control over anything, you are allowed to do only the things that Microsoft says you can, with no ability to change the things that you don't like.

Maybe one day Open Source will become ubiquitous, at which point there probably won't be any need for proprietary solutions, however we won't ever move significantly in that direction if you can't play DVDs on Linux (Linspire excepted). Plus I am certainly happy to pay for the provision of propietary codecs and a legal DVD player, this is my choice, I am sure there are many others that wouldn't want to, the point is I should be able to have the choice!

I think the key with Linux is choice, choice of Operating System, choice of applications, choice of uses.

At least that is the reason I use GNU/Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by weekend warrior
    Oh dear, I appear to be lost. It's very possible as I haven't posted for some time. Please tell me, is this still in fact the Ubuntu project forums? The one that proudly states on its front page:

"The team behind Ubuntu makes the following public commitment to its users:"

Ubuntu will always be free of charge, and there is no extra fee for the "enterprise edition", we make our very best work available to everyone on the same Free terms.

"Ubuntu is entirely committed to the principles of free software development; we encourage people to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on."

Or has it changed into something not entirely unlike the raging horde of commercial ventures in the world today? Because from the sounds of this, there will indeed be a defacto "enterprise edition". Last I was here, Ubuntu was a special project for the entire world, rich and poor, on both sides of the digital divide; a project that made committments to its users and stood firm by them, much as Debian has done for over a decade.

No no.... I couldn't possibly be on the right page. A thread with an idea like this would not have been seriously considered when Mark Shuttleworth's generous vision of a different world for the future began this project. Its users would have seen this as not merely "a question of choice" (in package managers/software) but rather a fundamental change of principles. Ubuntu users would be able to see past the "it's only 20 dollars" to understand that no, it's much more expensive than that. Commitments and principles like the ones on the front page of Ubuntu Linux are priceless.

So pray tell, are these pages the Ubuntu forums? The ones that I once knew and respected? Or have I inadvertently stumbled across the forums for Ubuntu Ltd. - the Enterprise Edition - a division of Linspire Inc. ?

If so, my heart is saddened by the loss.

I am actually applauding at your post...... i'm so glad there seem to be at least a few people on here that share my views on topics such as this.

I was beginning to think I was just an idealist......

All the best!

John

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jarocooke
    *John*

Personally I think that it is the freedom that is important when it comes to Linux.

With windows you don't have any real control over anything, you are allowed to do only the things that Microsoft says you can, with no ability to change the things that you don't like.

Maybe one day Open Source will become ubiquitous, at which point there probably won't be any need for proprietary solutions, however we won't ever move significantly in that direction if you can't play DVDs on Linux (Linspire excepted). Plus I am certainly happy to pay for the provision of propietary codecs and a legal DVD player, this is my choice, I am sure there are many others that wouldn't want to, the point is I should be able to have the choice!

I think the key with Linux is choice, choice of Operating System, choice of applications, choice of uses.

At least that is the reason I use GNU/Linux.

With over 1000 distro's why do you think we need "cross distro propriatry software compatability" (if that makes sense ) to maintain "choice"?

Ubuntu is free, and until now, I was sure freedom from propriatry software was one of its principals, but now I feel I may have been mistaken/decieved?

If you want what Linspire is offering then whats wrong with Linspire? Its like saying I want to use the apple Safari browser on XP? If I want that so badly, I have to buy a mac!

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

What cant I do on windows because microsoft says I cant?

Nothing. Not including what vista is apparently gonna have.

Beans

I would love to be able to pay for the codecs! I wonder how many of the users here that are so opposed to this idea are getting them illegally. I suspect quite a few .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by dmb
    I would definitely support including CNR as an option. Although I probably wouldn't use it, i know many who would. I think it is good to provide option, and also compatibility with other linux distros. It is really nice to see a CEO of a linux company come to respond and speak to us, and after reading most of the posts (well, maybe 100 pages worth of them), and am definitely changing my mind about your company. I used to believe it was just in it completely for the money, but now I see that it is a good thing, and actually promotes open source. I respect your position very much, and wish you good luck in the buisness.
    Thank you. I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by dmb
    I just have one stupid unimportant question: Will there be a port of CNR to gnome? I know linspire is primarily KDE based (with some exceptions, such as mozilla pro(ducts)(jects)), but with ubuntu, its pretty much all gnome based (not considering kubuntu). I just think it would be nice to see a native version that matches with gnome users themes.
    CNR already supports both KDE and GNOME apps and in the CNR Warehouse you will find both type of apps. As for the CNR client itself, it's KDE based, but it wouldn't be hard to offer a GNOME specific client if necessary.

FYI...Linspire uses BOTH KDE and GNOME apps. Our default IM client, for example, is GAIM. We do, however, theme KDE, GNOME, Mozilla/Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. to all look and feel the same. We don't want users feeling any difference between them and try to minimize this as much as possible.

Kevin

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjj
    I would love to be able to pay for the codecs! I wonder how many of the users here that are so opposed to this idea are getting them illegally. I suspect quite a few .
    As far as my country's laws, and treaties they are a part of, are concerned, I'm quite legally free to have and install dvdcss, mp3, flash, java and w32codecs on my computer.
    Are you into the White-Plastic Life-Style?

Page 51 of 86 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast