View Poll Results: Ubuntu+CNR good or bad?

Voters
428. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is a great idea and I support it.

200 46.73%
  • This is a bad idea and I want no part of it.

86 20.09%
  • I will be willing to use it to aquire legal codecs.

109 25.47%
  • I will not ever use it for any reason

114 26.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Linspire Offer CNR for Ubuntu Users?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Should Linspire Offer CNR for Ubuntu Users?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod
    Also, where would the proceeds go to? If it's back into the community (paying developers; offering bounties; maybe, if the issue of micropayments could be sorted, direct to the the developers of the most-downloaded apps!; etc), then I think this would be a good thing to have!
    To pay the salaries of the full-time employees who keep CNR humming, to pay for the server farms, to pay for the bandwidth, to pay for the support personnel to help you if you have a problem, to pay the license fees for the 3rd-party codecs and software, etc. You're not paying for open source software, you're paying for the convenience of this service. You'd only do it IF you felt that convenience was worth the $20. If not, keep using apt.

Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by PapaWiskas
    The only thing I can really offer you in terms of a suggestions is tiered service. I would be willing to pay $10.00 for say half a year, to see if I would really use it or not, or liked it for that matter. Because to be honest with you, $20.00 for a whole year, for something I might not even use because apt-get works just fine, just does not make sense, for me that is.
    CNR is free for the first 15 days, so you'd be able to try it before you buy it. In fact, during those first 15 days, you can even go and install every application in the Warehouse if you want. We don't worry about that. Why? Because 1) while you're doing all that installing, you'll become addicted to CNR, and 2) all those applications will need updating, and you may decide one-click is a slick way to keep everything updated.

Ubuntu updates their OS every 6 months, but Linspire adds things to our Warehouse DAILY. Linspire users find new and cool things to play with each week, not just every 6 months. Again, we make sure none of our changes break anything along the way.

The more CNR users we can get, the more we can invest in improving the CNR Warehouse, keeping it up to date, etc.

Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't think I would personally be very interested in this. It might help ensure that the newcomers to ubuntu don't break any of their country's laws when they attempt to get support for proprietary formats, so it could be helpful to some.

One question, I skimmed through the CNR pages and couldn't find information on this (although i didn't look that hard). I assume CNR itself is proprietary and is not an open-source project?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by PapaWiskas
    Your suggestion really appeals to me, in fact it is downright lustfully tempting me. But then I realized something, it would bring me back to where I was before coming here to Ubuntu.

What I mean is this, I have had to learn to use my brain in Linux, not just use the OS. I have been more stimulated these last 3 months then I ever have been since 1995. But I really do see a need for something like this for users who just want to use their computers.
    Exactly. Even if it's not right for you, you may still find it necessary to recommend Ubuntu/Linux to your friends who don't want to spend the same time you have in the last 3 years. 98% of the world just want to use their computer, not use it as a way of learning about technology, for them, CNR is ideal, in fact, it's probably required or they won't use Linux.

Also, don't be surprised if YOU do fall in love with CNR. Do you think our engineers know how to use apt? Of course they do. But, even you will agree, at some point you're brain is no longer being stimulated by installing the same thing over and over on different computers, etc. That's great you now have that knowledge, but you may still find some tasks are tedious and you'll want to use a mixture of CNR and apt.

Kevin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Again the glory and concept of what your offering vs what I feel the industry needs is way out of synch. We all could have made money this way. But I look at what this kind of thing does, it builds Walls in a community that should be driven by Openess and Freedom. Call me a RMS-droid, but Im old school. Synapitc, aptitude, apt, yum, emerge, whatever you choose to use in whatever distribution you use, is good.

Do other means of installing software need to come about , varied against the common user's ability? It might, but it should be equally as capable of supplying that user a Free alternative to doing so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Eyes
    Exactly. I can install games like NWN or apps like StarOffice manually, but doing so is a pain and involves at least half an hour of RTFM and tinkering. My wife would definitely find CNR useful if it could be used to install commercial games without having to have me tie up her machine for half an hour to make sure everything works correctly.
    We have a lot of "wives" who are CNR subscribers. =)

Kevin

Beans

Kevin,
    I have noticed from a while back that CNR offers media players that play DVD's (encrypted, commercial).
    Do these use the libdvdcss decryption codec? If so how do you legally handle this?
    Is there a fee paid by CNR to the patent holders?
    The reason I ask is I think this would be a great idea for many users to get what they need to make there linux experience much better and still keep us in the good faith of the legal world.
    I for one would be very happy to pay a small fee to cover patent cost so if RIIA was to visit my home I could give them the finger instead.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    www.banditshome.net - Ubuntu contributor.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by _jason
    One question, I skimmed through the CNR pages and couldn't find information on this (although i didn't look that hard). I assume CNR itself is proprietary and is not an open-source project?
    Yes. The CNR client is the only propriatary piece of Linspire software we put in our OS. All our other code is open source and contributed back. Because CNR is how we stay in business, we do keep it propriatary. However, I will say, the magic of CNR is 95% server side, not in the client.

Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Carmony
    while you're doing all that installing, you'll become addicted to CNR
    Well that's what I was thinking. The system is good but it has the same philosophy as Apple and Miscrosoft. They are trying to get their users "addicted " to their ways so the customers will never change for another product, even if there are better choices out there. People hate to learn new things so I'm against that.

On the other hand, there IS a demand and providing an OPTIONAL product like you are doing is, in my mind, a very good compromise. I wouldn't use it but I'm sure many others would.

I'll teach my friends how to use apt and I'll tell my mom to use CNR. Then again I don't think she sees the need to update anything anyway lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu+CNR

Options are always a good thing, and CNR looks great.

I happen to think Synaptic is extremely user-friendly, but CNR fits more the online "shopping" model of things that consumers are used to.

Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast