Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Picasa 3.5 or 3.6 fixes: video (.mov, etc.) and fix the "places" sidebar freeze

Beans

Re: Two Picasa 3.5 or 3.6 fixes: video (.mov, etc.) and fix the "places" sidebar free

I'm so glad the post has been helpful... Izar, by following these steps, I also had .3gp and .3g2 files working. I'm not sure about .mpg files. Have you tried yet?

Beans

Re: Two Picasa 3.5 or 3.6 fixes: video (.mov, etc.) and fix the "places" sidebar free

Quote Originally Posted by jnewm View Post
    I'm so glad the post has been helpful... Izar, by following these steps, I also had .3gp and .3g2 files working. I'm not sure about .mpg files. Have you tried yet?
    picasa detects only .mov files on my machine, yet it doesn't detect all .mov files and doesn't play them at all.
    note: i use picasa 3.0 for linux from deb package.

Beans

Smile Re: Two Picasa 3.5 or 3.6 fixes: video (.mov, etc.) and fix the "places" sidebar free

Thanks a lot for a wonderful guide. I was able to install and fix the "places" freeze issue. I am not sure about video files - as of now, unable to play mpeg (that is all I have at the moment)- I will keep checking into it.

Danial

Beans

After this fix it seems to handle AVIs as well. However, you have to have the codec. I installed a free MJPEG codec from free-codecs.com, and XVid. To install i downloaded the installer exe, and ran it using googles wrapper, as above.

Once i did this and restarted picasa, it starts playing all the videos it could not formerly view at double speed. Playback is in a wine video window of some sort. This is very annoying, as the window keeps popping and grabbing focus. Worth letting it run through all this while you take a break and do something else.

Beans

Euh... i retract my last post. It worked briefly, but now no longer finds the videos. It found some, and they would play in a pop up when clicked. some had a good thumbnail. Some did not have a good thumbnail, but were found anyway. But after a few restarts, eventually they all disappeared.

Frustrating.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi!

Definitely, you saved my life.

After SEVERAL hours procrastinating, eeer, well....identifying faces, I clicked "places button"...

:-S

Thanks! (1000 times)

Beans

I tried the video fix on Ubuntu 10.10, but it causes problems. Picasa launches okay but when it scans through pics/videos the screen goes black momentarily and when it reappears there are screen refresh problems and Picasa is unusable.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hi.
    I have been having trouble with step 5 from the first post.

I entered
    "bryan@Bydand:~$ /opt/google/picasa/3.0/bin/wrapper/Downloads/quicktimealt270.exe"
    but I got this
    "bash: /opt/google/picasa/3.0/bin/wrapper/Downloads/quicktimealt270.exe: Not a directory"
    edit.(changed it to "/opt/google/picasa/3.0/bin/wrapper /home/bryan/Downloads/quicktimealt270.exe" but got no mpg's)
    I'm not that good with command lines.

Some help please.
    Bryan.
    Last edited by Bryan55; January 16th, 2011 at 07:31 PM.

Beans

yeah, i get to stage 5, and get this:

any takers?

monkey@monkey:~$ /opt/google/picasa/3.0/bin/wrapper /monkey/quicktimealt270.exe
    find: warning: Unix filenames usually don't contain slashes (though pathnames do). That means that '-iname `/monkey'' will probably evaluate to false all the time on this system. You might find the '-wholename' test more useful, or perhaps '-samefile'. Alternatively, if you are using GNU grep, you could use 'find ... -print0 | grep -FzZ `/monkey''.
    find: warning: Unix filenames usually don't contain slashes (though pathnames do). That means that '-iname `/monkey.exe'' will probably evaluate to false all the time on this system. You might find the '-wholename' test more useful, or perhaps '-samefile'. Alternatively, if you are using GNU grep, you could use 'find ... -print0 | grep -FzZ `/monkey.exe''.
    find: warning: Unix filenames usually don't contain slashes (though pathnames do). That means that '-iname `/monkey'' will probably evaluate to false all the time on this system. You might find the '-wholename' test more useful, or perhaps '-samefile'. Alternatively, if you are using GNU grep, you could use 'find ... -print0 | grep -FzZ `/monkey''.
    find: warning: Unix filenames usually don't contain slashes (though pathnames do). That means that '-iname `/monkey.so'' will probably evaluate to false all the time on this system. You might find the '-wholename' test more useful, or perhaps '-samefile'. Alternatively, if you are using GNU grep, you could use 'find ... -print0 | grep -FzZ `/monkey.so''.
    find: warning: Unix filenames usually don't contain slashes (though pathnames do). That means that '-iname `/monkey.exe.so'' will probably evaluate to false all the time on this system. You might find the '-wholename' test more useful, or perhaps '-samefile'. Alternatively, if you are using GNU grep, you could use 'find ... -print0 | grep -FzZ `/monkey.exe.so''.
    monkey@monkey:~$ /opt/google/picasa/3.0/bin/wrapper /monkey/quicktimealt270.exe
    find: warning: Unix filenames usually don't contain slashes (though pathnames do). That means that '-iname `/monkey/quicktimealt270.exe'' will probably evaluate to false all the time on this system. You might find the '-wholename' test more useful, or perhaps '-samefile'. Alternatively, if you are using GNU grep, you could use 'find ... -print0 | grep -FzZ `/monkey/quicktimealt270.exe''.
    find: warning: Unix filenames usually don't contain slashes (though pathnames do). That means that '-iname `/monkey/quicktimealt270.exe.exe'' will probably evaluate to false all the time on this system. You might find the '-wholename' test more useful, or perhaps '-samefile'. Alternatively, if you are using GNU grep, you could use 'find ... -print0 | grep -FzZ `/monkey/quicktimealt270.exe.exe''.
    find: warning: Unix filenames usually don't contain slashes (though pathnames do). That means that '-iname `/monkey/quicktimealt270.exe'' will probably evaluate to false all the time on this system. You might find the '-wholename' test more useful, or perhaps '-samefile'. Alternatively, if you are using GNU grep, you could use 'find ... -print0 | grep -FzZ `/monkey/quicktimealt270.exe''.
    find: warning: Unix filenames usually don't contain slashes (though pathnames do). That means that '-iname `/monkey/quicktimealt270.exe.so'' will probably evaluate to false all the time on this system. You might find the '-wholename' test more useful, or perhaps '-samefile'. Alternatively, if you are using GNU grep, you could use 'find ... -print0 | grep -FzZ `/monkey/quicktimealt270.exe.so''.
    find: warning: Unix filenames usually don't contain slashes (though pathnames do). That means that '-iname `/monkey/quicktimealt270.exe.exe.so'' will probably evaluate to false all the time on this system. You might find the '-wholename' test more useful, or perhaps '-samefile'. Alternatively, if you are using GNU grep, you could use 'find ... -print0 | grep -FzZ `/monkey/quicktimealt270.exe.exe.so''.
    monkey@monkey:~$
    Last edited by macd0g; February 20th, 2011 at 06:41 PM.

Beans

great post
    works to me with picasa 3.8 on ubuntu 10.10
    although the link for the quicktimealt270.exe seems to be broken. i had to google the file name and that way i fond it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast