Thread: Need advice for asus 1201ha (z520 + gma500)

Beans

Question Need advice for asus 1201ha (z520 + gma500)

Hi everybody.

I need to buy a netbook. I'm lookin for high battery life, large screen and high portability and my choice would be Asus 1201HA.

I have some questions about processor performance related to my main use of the device, because I read that Z520 performance lacks in terms of multitasking.

I will use this netbook only for web browsing, office documents, istant messaging and music and video playback.

Main use could be: Empathy and Skype always running. Firefox opened (2 to 3 tabs with flash/ajax sites). Audio player or Office 2007 via Wine (I know, I'm a bad boy).

Occasionally I watch some divx via mplayer (SD video or 720p ripped divx which I read they are supported by mplayer and gma500). Obviously I don't do anything else while watching movies, but I leave Empathy and Skype opened.

I don't play with videogames (ok, only a browser game and rarely with facebook games).

Now, I would like to know how Atom Z520 performs these tasks under Ubuntu 9.10.

P.S.
    I'm not interest in 3D compiz support.

Thank you!!

Beans

Re: Need advice for asus 1201ha (z520 + gma500)

*bump*

Beans

Angry Re: Need advice for asus 1201ha (z520 + gma500)

It's the worst possible laptop you can buy to run Ubuntu on. GMA500=PowerVR chip not an Intel chip which means no driver support from Intel. PowerVR has always been infamous for not supporting Linux. They showed off this combo playing Quake @ 1080P in Linux (Mobllin) but has since never updated their drivers. People get it working and then the next kernel update breaks everything again. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH GMA500!!!! Pay the extra money and get the ASUS 1201N with the Nvidia chipset, which has the best Linux support around IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonG777 View Post
    GMA500=PowerVR chip not an Intel chip which means no driver support from Intel. [...] Pay the extra money and get the ASUS 1201N with the Nvidia chipset, which has the best Linux support around IMO.
    Wow, this info is really useful Brandon, I was considering to buy myself a 1201ha, too! I run Xubuntu on my laptops, and this would have been a serious bummer. Thanks a lot!
    Fred

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mktg82 View Post
    Hi everybody.

I need to buy a netbook. I'm lookin for high battery life, large screen and high portability and my choice would be Asus 1201HA.

[cut]
    Thank you!!
    Hi
    Check here - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...hines/Netbooks
    Video thing is solved, my Eee works fine.