Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses Dropbox and Why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Who uses Dropbox and Why?

I use it to sync my eclipse files between computers and soon I want it to sync my minecraft save files.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Who uses Dropbox and Why?

I use it, to mainly save code/Latex files for my thesis. It has saved my life many times.
    Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend

Beans
    Hidden!

I've come to view Dropbox as the most essential non-free component (more so than non-free codecs!) on my installs. Anything I can't bear to lose (documents, mostly plain text, PDF, .doc & .odt) goes in my Dropbox folder; anything I'm working on goes in there too, so as to make the most recent revisions available to any computer that has internet access (much more convenient than emailing myself attachments, which is what I did for years before discovering Dropbox).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Everything that's important is in DB and backed up to my server on a regular basis.

Means if I "brick" a machine by being over adventurous, no problems. I loose nothing.

Moved from downloading my mail to T'Bird a couple of years ago so these days I just re format and job done.
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I use up to four different computers (Lunix and Windows), depending on where I am. Dropbox helps me work on my projects wherever I am. Very handy, wouldn't want to miss it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I use it for backup purposes and to sync data across my 2 computers.
    Very handy.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I've been using Ubuntu One for about a year..
    But just 2 days ago I decided to try out dropbox, mainly because whenever I try to upload "large" files
    (50MB or so) , they never seem to finish uploading with Ubuntu one.
    It just sits and sits and sits... and never finishes.

I love Ubuntu one, and it works great *usually*.. But for larger files..
    it could use some work, i guess.

When i installed dropbox 2 days ago, I did it because I needed to upload an 88MB file to share with a friend across the world, So I figured I'd give it a try, since U1 wasnt doing what I needed.

As luck would have it, the file uploaded fine (took about an hour+), But I was able to send the dropbox link to my friend and he was able to get it, no problem.

So, Now I use dropbox because it seems to handle larger files better than U1.

I'll keep using Ubuntu1 for my regular stuff..
    but dropbox is what I'll be using for larger files I need to share/backup.

I am impressed with Dropbox!
    as well as with Ubuntu One, (specially in 11.04, Ubuntu One has gotten a ton better)
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Dropbox has become my file system in the cloud where I keep the files I need regardless of where I am or which of my machines I'm using. I also use it to share files others need when I am not around. It's fast, always works, is easy to use, is not platform dependent, and it's reasonably priced. It's also a great backup system in the event of local hard disk failure.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

+1 for cross platform sync, and for access to key materials anywhere.

When a Windows client for Ubuntu One becomes available, I'll give it a try as I'd like to pay money to Canonical rather than Dropbox when I need more storage.

Beans
    Hidden!

Because the ubuntuonesyncdaemon can get crazy at times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast