Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSH only working in one-direction

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: SSH only working in one-direction

Hi thanks for the replies, sorry I haven't been about, to get back to it...

Quote Originally Posted by alejaaandro View Post
    might be a stupid question, but can you ping your desktop from the server?
    also, is ssh server running on port 22 on your desktop? you might have changed it and not remember, or you could try changing it see if that works..
    No, a ping results in 100% packet loss.

Yes it is on port 22, at least that's how it appears from the results of "netstat -lnptu" and is also how it is set in "/etc/ssh/sshd_config"

Running SSH over a different port produces exactly the same results.

I guess my next question is: how do I go back to a completely clean SSH setup, i.e. no-SSH related configuration files/keys etc. on any of my computers?

Is it just a case of removing all openSSH packages and removing "~/.ssh" and "/etc/ssh/", or are there any other directories/files that need removing?

That is unless anyone has a better idea (than complete SSH removal and restart) towards recovering from the current situation.

Cheers,
    Rawny
    Last edited by rawny; January 25th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: SSH only working in one-direction

The fact you can't ping the desktop tends to indicate that the computer is not visible, so this isn't just an SSH config issue.

Are you sure your ISP isn't blocking traffic from the outside internet (you said the computers are on different networks so I'm assuming their traffic passes over the internet)?

If your ISP is blocking traffic on port 22, you may be able to get past this by getting the SSH server on rawney-desktop to listen on a non-standard port. Look here for info on what to do.
    Last edited by t0p; January 25th, 2010 at 01:12 PM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12