So, this is very simple, i had a clean Ubuntu 9.10 install, i wanted to enable the ATI drivers (for my Radeon HD 5700), so i open 'Hardware Drivers' and i installed the one Ubuntu proposed me...
I was delighted, because i was able to use a much higher screen resolution (1900x1080) for my LCD monitor, wich support up to 1600x900... This was because the drivers didn't actually support my ATI.

I installed the latest driver version from the amd.com site, first removing the actual driver.

Now i can't use the higher screes resolution, i tried with "aticonfig --resolution=", manually, but it didn't work. I want to go back to 1900x1080.
Do you know how i can do this?

I tried uninstalling it, resetting to default the config files (/etc/ati /etc/X11/xorg.conf), and then installing the default ATI drivers from Ubuntu repository... nothing works.

I'm really not a basic user, i have several years of using exclusively Linux and i think i know a lot, but this is very frustrating for me, i'm tired of always having problems and difficulties, and searching for hours for a solution... I just need some help.