Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting better at this, but getting no where, Webcam, Skype, Cheese, Camorama

Beans

Getting better at this, but getting no where, Webcam, Skype, Cheese, Camorama

Dear Ubuntu maestros,

So I'm running Ubuntu 9.10. I can't seem to get skype to work. See, the person I'm chatting with can receive video and audio, I can receive audio, but I cannot see them, even when they engage their webcam.

My cheese can take pictures from my webcam, but I can't see the screen of the webcam before I take the picture, it's only black, and when I click on the take the picture, it'll take it, and display it correctly, but the screen is black.

Now, I just dled camorama, but it's saying "Could not connect to video device C/dev/video0). please check connection." I don't know what this means.

My lsusb says:

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0c45:62f1 Microdia
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 19b9:4d10
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05ca:1870 Ricoh Co., Ltd Webcam 1000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

The Ricoh Webcam is a built in cam, but it doesn't work either. I have an external cam that used to work, but the cam works, it's just the display that seems effed up.
    Run a HP Pavilion dv1000t Laptop w/ 2gig Ram. Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy w/ Compiz.

Beans

Re: Getting better at this, but getting no where, Webcam, Skype, Cheese, Camorama

I saw other threads on this topics:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1161113

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...22#post8338722

But these threads seem to be talking about the Cairo docks. I'm running ubuntu at the lowest graphics setting possible. No dock or anything. Any help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Getting better at this, but getting no where, Webcam, Skype, Cheese, Camorama

This might sound like it makes no sense at all, but try disabling Compiz and see if you can see your webcam's output.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Hey, thanks for the response.

I am uninstalling compiz to see if it will work. Because I am on the lowest settings, I don't even think I was using compiz, but I remember I had some problem like this way back in the day, with 8.10 or something, and compiz was messing around with my google earth, so I'll give this a try.

I'll let you know what happens.

Beans

open cheese click edit preference an set the pic size to a smaller 1

Frequently Asked Questions

* Cheese Manual

* 6.1. The video is sluggish/has a slow response. What can I do?
    * 6.2. I have a Mac with iSight and a ATI graphics card, and the colors are weird.
    * 6.3. My webcam works with gstreamer, but does not work with Cheese. What's wrong?
    * 6.4. My webcam works with other programs such as Ekiga, Camorama, but not with Cheese. What's wrong?
    * 6.5. Where does Cheese store my photos and videos?
    * 6.6. My Quickcam Express doesn't work with Cheese...
    * 6.7. "No Camera Found" Error Message
    * 6.8. Which cameras are supported?

6.1. The video is sluggish/has a slow response. What can I do?

You may have set "ximagesink" (X Window System (No Xv)) as video-output.
    This means that your CPU is doing all the work. Change it to "xvimagesink"
    (X Window System (X11/XShm/Xv)) in order to let your graphics card do the work.

To change this setting, run the gstreamer-properties
    command, click the Video tab
    and change the appropriate setting.

Beans

Thanks for the tip. I tried what you said:

Quote Originally Posted by no2498 View Post

You may have set "ximagesink" (X Window System (No Xv)) as video-output.
    This means that your CPU is doing all the work. Change it to "xvimagesink"
    (X Window System (X11/XShm/Xv)) in order to let your graphics card do the work.

To change this setting, run the gstreamer-properties
    command, click the Video tab
    and change the appropriate setting.
    But it seems like my settings were already at (X Window System (X11/XShm/Xv). I tried all the possibilities by pressing test, and everytime, the test screen would just be the window with the stuff behind it showing in the box, you know what I mean? It's like a window to the stuff behind it, and if you move the test window, it carries around the image of what was behind it inside.

Beans

Anyone even have the same problem as me? Haha, I feel like I could be the only one. Scary thoughts.

Beans

Anyone?

Beans

the bottom 1 is the cam test window

Beans

The bottom 1?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast