Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For the sake of learning (Terminal)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: For the sake of learning (Terminal)

Quote Originally Posted by baddog144 View Post
    Sure, just do
    Code:
    mplayer *.mp3
    the '*' means "anything", so *.mp3 is "any file that ends in .mp3"
    Awesome thanks
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1 ghz
    8 gb DDR2 800 PC2 6400 RAM
    640 gb Western Digital Caviar
    650 Watt power supply, ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

No problem, good luck with your command-line education
    I am currently unable to come up with a witty statement to put in my signature. Please check back later.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi,
    In addition to commands being case sensitive, filenames are the same way, and the use of capital letters is very common with ripped music from cds.

You can use the ls command (that's a lower case L) which lists the contents of your directory. You could then see the file as you type out the filename.

I agree with what the above poster said about spaces in filenames too. It's tricky writing out a full path with capital letters and spaces, so you made it easier on yourself by 'cd' into the directory first.

Enjoy using the terminal
    Last edited by ankspo71; January 19th, 2010 at 12:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

In addition to specifying a specific media player, you can use the system media player (whatever that's set to) by using gnome-open:

Code:
    $gnome-open mysong.mp3
    Once you type a few letters of the name, and press tab, the spaces are entered automatically for you as \ (backspace space).

By the way, gnome-open also works for any type of file that is registered with the system. (Media, audio, video, spreadsheet, PDF, etc.)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinInside View Post
    In addition to specifying a specific media player, you can use the system media player (whatever that's set to) by using gnome-open:

Code:
    $gnome-open mysong.mp3
    Once you type a few letters of the name, and press tab, the spaces are entered automatically for you as \ (backspace space).

By the way, gnome-open also works for any type of file that is registered with the system. (Media, audio, video, spreadsheet, PDF, etc.)
    Thanks, I was actually sitting here after awhile trying to figure out how to open my pictures, since I had no idea the name of the program that you use to actually view them. gnome-open works perfectly. I was actually trying to open a PDF too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by psam3 View Post
    Thanks, I was actually sitting here after awhile trying to figure out how to open my pictures, since I had no idea the name of the program that you use to actually view them.
    eog

I was actually trying to open a PDF too.
    evince

Just for future reference. There are alternatives to those, too, but those are the defaults in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you are getting serious about this why not try a full featured music player such as cmus or ncmpc.

For photos there is feh

Videos, I use mplayer-nogui

File manager - mc

videocoversion - ffmpeg

the list goes on.

A few tips.

Learning all the keybindings/options of command line apps can be a pain. I use screen with byobu and dvtm to get round this

Code:
    sudo apt-get install byobu dvtm
    Screen is like a desktop environment for the console, start it by typing
    Code:
    byobu
    Now you can have different "workspaces" in one terminal. F2 will create one. F3 and F4 will toggle forwards and backwards through them.

So you can have cmus, mc, elinks (web browser) on different workspaces.

dvtm is a tiling window manager for the terminal. Launch it with dvtm, inside your screen session.

Press Ctrl G then C and the terminal will split in 2. It has mouse support so you can toggle between them by clicking or use Ctrl G then K (forwards) or J (backwards). You can split it as many times as you like.

If you open 4 Then Ctrl G then G again will make it a nice grid shape. And this is where the usefulness is. You split the screen in 4. Launch cmus to play your music in one window and man cmus on another window and whatever you like in the other 2.

I`ll show you

Screenshot-4.png

I`m doing this on my netbook which isn`t ideal, but it`s just for illustration. On a decent sized monitor this is really useful.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    If you are getting serious about this why not try a full featured music player such as cmus or ncmpc.

For photos there is feh

Videos, I use mplayer-nogui

File manager - mc

videocoversion - ffmpeg

the list goes on.

A few tips.

Learning all the keybindings/options of command line apps can be a pain. I use screen with byobu and dvtm to get round this

Code:
    sudo apt-get install byobu dvtm
    Screen is like a desktop environment for the console, start it by typing
    Code:
    byobu
    Now you can have different "workspaces" in one terminal. F2 will create one. F3 and F4 will toggle forwards and backwards through them.

So you can have cmus, mc, elinks (web browser) on different workspaces.

dvtm is a tiling window manager for the terminal. Launch it with dvtm, inside your screen session.

Press Ctrl G then C and the terminal will split in 2. It has mouse support so you can toggle between them by clicking or use Ctrl G then K (forwards) or J (backwards). You can split it as many times as you like.

If you open 4 Then Ctrl G then G again will make it a nice grid shape. And this is where the usefulness is. You split the screen in 4. Launch cmus to play your music in one window and man cmus on another window and whatever you like in the other 2.

I`ll show you

Screenshot-4.png

I`m doing this on my netbook which isn`t ideal, but it`s just for illustration. On a decent sized monitor this is really useful.
    This is really useful, I have been playing around with it. I have a question though, can I use this in a real terminal? I know you can use a keyboard combination to get into the command line. I did this last night, which leads me to one more question How do I start gnome from the command line?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Firstly, yes you can do all this from the real command line - ie without X.

The only thing I regulary use within X is firefox because no matter how much I love cli apps, you cannot get the same browsing experience with cli browsers although I do use them.

To start X from the command line
    Code:
    sudo service gdm start
    or
    Code:
    startx
    I use Ubuntu minimal with xorg and firefox, but then I don`t do much fancy stuff. If you are interested, it is a really fast way to run your computer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

nothingspecial what program is running in the first "window" of your terminal ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast