Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can a USB cable be?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How long can a USB cable be?

I would like to put my webcam up and upstream to 'ustream' to show my ponies playing.

The distance between my computer and the stable is about a 100 feet. Is there enough power to push the signal that far or do I need to put a booster along the route.
    "Let us run the risk of wearing out rather than rusting out." __Theodore Roosevelt

Beans

Re: How long can a USB cable be?

The USB 2.0 spec says about 16 feet, so running 100 foot of usb might not be feasible. Have you looked into getting an Ethernet camera? Ethernet is good out to 100 Meters or about 300 feet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Or a wireless webcam to a USB hub at the computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinahaze View Post
    The USB 2.0 spec says about 16 feet, so running 100 foot of usb might not be feasible. Have you looked into getting an Ethernet camera? Ethernet is good out to 100 Meters or about 300 feet.
    The 16 feet, do you know if it is a power issue or a timing issue?
    "Let us run the risk of wearing out rather than rusting out." __Theodore Roosevelt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

AFAIK, it's a problem of not enough signal getting through that distance clear enough. Same with ethernet at long distances (500m+, eg.). You might get some signal over that distance, but it wouldn't be reliable.

We are currently using wireless security cameras here at work, and they are transmitting quite well at a distance of about 25 meteres (just under 100 feet), through 2 brick walls and some machinery. That's another option ...
    :: Do Not Click Here ::

Code poet [My paradise is war]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i have a usb>ethernet>usb extender that i use for a total distance of about 40 ft. works great

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16800997018

i have some similar to those, but they can be found much cheaper by shopping around. monoprice.com might have some. specs say you can go up to about 198ft with them

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've heard you can run with USB Repeater Cables for up to about 80 feet, 5 x 16' cables. I've myself only tried going as far as 3 cables, 48 feet, with no problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pirateghost View Post
    i have a usb>ethernet>usb extender that i use for a total distance of about 40 ft. works great

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16800997018

i have some similar to those, but they can be found much cheaper by shopping around. monoprice.com might have some. specs say you can go up to about 198ft with them
    The actual spec is about 16 feet for reliable communications as an earlier poster said. With usb the difference between a 1 and 0 is a very small differential voltage which is easily lost, actually the use of any extension does not meet specs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bkratz View Post
    The actual spec is about 16 feet for reliable communications as an earlier poster said. With usb the difference between a 1 and 0 is a very small differential voltage which is easily lost, actually the use of any extension does not meet specs.
    it may not 'meet specs' but i have used these before on a webcam with about 100' of cat5e in between and it worked great (right now im using one with my vyatta box running lcdproc connected to a matrix orbital 4x20 lcd). the webcam was a logitech that had face recognition and everything worked better than expected. i honestly didnt think that it would go that long of a distance, but it did. just sharing real world experiences rather than spouting off specs and requirements....

Beans

use an IP cam, easiest solution
    I'm not antisocial. I'm just not user friendly...
    Open Linux Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast