Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: entire hard drive encryption W/ preboot authentication

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MI
    Beans
    121
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    entire hard drive encryption W/ preboot authentication

    looking for a program that will let me encrypt everything so that you need preboot authentication like you can do with truecrypt in windows thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    880
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: entire hard drive encryption W/ preboot authentication

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow120 View Post
    looking for a program that will let me encrypt everything so that you need preboot authentication like you can do with truecrypt in windows thanks
    The easiest way is to use LUKS encryption, which you can choose when you install Ubuntu if you use the alternate (not Live) CD. It's considerably more difficult to setup after installation. I prefer LUKS to using encrypted home directories for single-user systems, but each method has its advantages and disadvantages.
    ~~~
    I liked this old blog post by Aysiu: The Linux community's mixed messages

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Panama City, FL, USA
    Beans
    543
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: entire hard drive encryption W/ preboot authentication

    If you're familiar with and like TrueCrypt it is available for Linux as well. I haven't actually used it for whole disk/partition encryption, but I have for files and it works for that.

    LUKS is definitely the more standard/integrated Ubuntu way to encrypt, but I'll agree it's not the easiest thing to set up post-install.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MI
    Beans
    121
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: entire hard drive encryption W/ preboot authentication

    the TrueCrypt for linux cant encrypt the entire hard drive just the home folder because it dosent have the preboot authentication

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: entire hard drive encryption W/ preboot authentication

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow120 View Post
    the TrueCrypt for linux cant encrypt the entire hard drive just the home folder because it dosent have the preboot authentication
    Your question was answered in the second post of this thread by michaelzap.

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    The easiest way is to use LUKS encryption, which you can choose when you install Ubuntu if you use the alternate (not Live) CD. It's considerably more difficult to setup after installation. I prefer LUKS to using encrypted home directories for single-user systems, but each method has its advantages and disadvantages.
    If you need instructions, see this link :

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Encry...04-85271.shtml

    yes it is written for 8.04 but it is the same with 8.10 , 9.04, and 9.10

    =)
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

    #ubuntuforums web interface

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •