Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A&E TV on Linux [Any Distro]

Beans

A&E TV on Linux [Any Distro]

Has anyone here regardless of what form of Linux your using managed to get any of the video streams off A&E's website working?

For example on the frist 48 the video just loads for ever, I have flash installed and it does this with Ubuntu, Arch and Puppy. I have to boot into a very small windows partition to get the videos to work, is there some kind of codec I am missing or is the flash on Linux limited?
    Desktop 1: Asus A8N-E | AMD Athlon +3200 | 2 GB Ram | Geforce 8500 | Windows XP
    Desktop 2: Soyo-KT600 | AMD Athlon +2600 | 768 MB Ram | Geforce 5200 | Ubuntu 10.04
    Netbook: Asus 1001P, Arch Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: A&E TV on Linux [Any Distro]

No dice...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Ubuntu Blog
    My Android Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Although A&E is included in my satellite subscription plan, I can't access the videos on the site because I don't live in US, just like Hulu. Well, I'm not losing anything superb anyway, since A&E is not a good channel here, but that really pisses me off.

Beans

I'll throw a "me too" into this - using Mythbuntu 8.04, I get the same result... any suggestions would be great. I am using flash v10,0,42,34

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by false_apology View Post
    I'll throw a "me too" into this - using Mythbuntu 8.04, I get the same result... any suggestions would be great. I am using flash v10,0,42,34
    Well depending on how fast your hardware is, I can confirm that the videos work on virtualbox. However that way out is too slow of a solution for me on my hardware.

I am guessing it’s either a missing codec or A&E hates the Linux version of flash. IE via wine works, so I am going to try Firefox through wine.
    Desktop 1: Asus A8N-E | AMD Athlon +3200 | 2 GB Ram | Geforce 8500 | Windows XP
    Desktop 2: Soyo-KT600 | AMD Athlon +2600 | 768 MB Ram | Geforce 5200 | Ubuntu 10.04
    Netbook: Asus 1001P, Arch Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just happened across this thread googling the same question.

I'm nearly positive this is a flash issue; it's the same for all of that network group -- A&E, Biography, History, History International. I know about six months ago I was able to stream videos from History; but like with A&E, no videos will load for me on that site now (or any of the sites).

It worked for me on Windows via virtual box, but failed on both 64 and 32 bit versions of linux flash. However, when I loaded up a video page in VirtualBox, Firefox spit all kinds of script errors -- which makes me think the sites themselves are not coded all that well.

They're using Brightcove for their video; I haven't had trouble with any other Brightcove videos.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Same Result--Karmic 9.10 with all codecs.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans

Im on Linux Mint, tried Opera 10.5, Chromium and Namoroka and none were able to play these vids....that sad.
    Reason: no beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Probably uses Move Networks codecs which are not compatible with Linux. This is a common problem for sites like Fox and ABC as well. Apparently they have plans for a Linux port... that was announced 2 years ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been periodically trying to watch The First 48 on A&E's site for a few months with no luck. Brightcove FTL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast