Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has a toshiba t135-s1309 laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: link to v1.30 driver -- but note

you know , your posts are very insightful. It gives me a lesson in a certain way... but back to ower topic.

You say about reinstalling the os.. do you mean Windows/others? Because linux goes fine with the usb stick, and it's faster from the flash than from cd.

Then, about the HDD upgrade... you need a CD-ROM for a HDD upgrade? Please explain to me how these come together. I'm a bit confused.

BTW, i've been there, on that toshiba support site, but i couldn't find the 1.30 version, i see only 1.6 and 1.9. I'm sure: i've triple-checked it. Could you point it to me more specificly, please?
    Last edited by AlexZaim; January 25th, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
    God loves you. Love Him too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Who has a toshiba t135-s1309 laptop?

Thanks for your kind words Alex.

To get the v1.30 driver:

On the Toshiba download page for the T135, at the 12-21-2009 entry, click the gray box with the plus (+) symbol next to the ACPI flash BIOS version 1.60. That action will open an additional line with the v1.30 BIOS download.

If windows dies, or must be re-installed, then we should have a recovery disk. Toshiba says to make one with an external cd-writer, but if there's no way to boot from such an external drive, what good is the recovery disk?

Also, if you want to replace the 320GB drive for more capacity, or in case of a failure, how do we boot windows on the new drive once the old one with the os has been pulled?

Just for booting into Linux, the flash stick would be OK, but with this machine, I'd also like to have an XP partition. Some processors have hardware virtualization so you can run XP from within Win 7, but the dual-core processor in the Toshiba T135-S1309 is the SU4100 which does not support hardware virtualization.

Also, with Linux, I think the live cd option is very appealing to try out a flavor of the operating system (os) without committing to repartition and installing an os which may not like your wireless card, or something else.

I have to decide within 12 days to keep this machine or return it.

ADDED: Also I should add that I am hoping to be able to install Ubuntu along with Win 7 And Win XP on this laptop. If I can't have all three, then Win 7 probably will be dropped. I already returned a Vista laptop previously because it wouldn't run my legacy applications, which are mostly all several years old, but which work perfectly under XP.

This little Satellite is amazingly small and light, but with a usable keyboard and very nice display. It has a close-to-perfect form-factor, adequate power, and jaw-dropping battery life. I also got a very good price. This little box takes computing into a new realm - at least for me - so I want to get as much precise data as possible before proceeding, because going forward means laying out more $.

ALSO: I missed it first time around, but the t135-s1309 that Gary (on the Toshiba forum) was able to boot from USB stick is running BIOS v1.90

steve
    Last edited by Speshio; January 20th, 2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: changes, additions, more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks, i found the version.

Hm... concerning the recover disc, isn't it possible to
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/cdrom
    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=file.iso bs=1024
    and make a .iso image of the disk

then use the "USB start-up disc creator" to install the image on the drive?
    And use the content as if it was on a CD/DVD.

Btw, there are good buck-up products out there,free, that allows to copy your whole OS bit by bit.After that you can write it, bit to bit to the new HDD (help). I'm not sure about this last one. Sounds risky for me, and i have not tried it. But other than this, is there something else i'm missing?
    Last edited by AlexZaim; January 20th, 2010 at 10:38 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know about the t135 but the M200 I have has a hidden option to hold down the "0" (zero) key during boot that lets me boot from the recovery partition. Perhaps there's a similar option somewhere on other models that might be of help. (The A100 I had didn't have this option)
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

@Alex

Thanks for your ideas. Currently, I'm downloading the 9.10 iso. Then I'll create the bootable usb stick with the iso image, and see what happens when I boot up with the stick mounted and hit F12.

I'm not very fluent with BASH so I can't exactly decipher your code suggestion, but your accompanying explanation seems feasible, and I may give it a try, depending on the outcome of Plan A, above.

The poster at Toshiba support who succeeded with Plan A is using BIOS v1.90. If Plan A fails with my BIOS v1.70, then I suppose I would upgrade my BIOS to 1.90, and go from there. Prolly, I'd want to upgrade to that BIOS version anyway, or go back to v1.30, which seemingly does support booting from external CD/DVD. Once grub and the desired extra os are installed, then I suppose one could go back to the newer BIOS version.

I think it's worth mentioning that there are a number of posts at support.Toshiba.com concerning Flash BIOS upgrade failures, although none that I saw dealing with this specific Laptop, the t135-s1309.

@lisati

Yes, there's a hidden partition on many Toshiba machines with the recovery data to re-install the original Windows OS. I haven't explored this option yet, but thanks for mentioning it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Success booting from USB stick and BIOS v1.70

My Toshiba T135-S1309 came with BIOS v1.70 when purchased from BB in Jan 2010.

After downloading the image, I Used this process to create a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu 9.10:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-...sb-in-windows/

With the usb stick physically mounted
    power-on
    F12 at Toshiba splash screen
    and select your usb stick

After a bit, I reach the Ubuntu desktop.

No wireless card recognized by Ubuntu, but that's a different issue.

The little Toshiba uses the realtek rtl8191se. Several threads here on Networking & Wireless about it. Another adventure awaits.

Steve
    Last edited by Speshio; January 21st, 2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: added info before intermission

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Toshiba T135-S1309 details

Well, after a fair amount of thrashing about, I'm here on 9.10 live usb stick using ndiswrapper with the win2k drivers for the onboard realtek RTL8191se wireless on my Toshiba Satellite T135-S1309 running under BIOS v1.70 with which this box shipped.

At this point, my wireless connectivity is highly sensitive to the laptop's location within this local public wifi ntwk, which is hammered pretty hard. I was able to get online only by moving to the corner of my pad closest to the router.

Trial by error getting the onboard card recognized. There are several threads on this topic. There are native linux drivers from Realtek available for this card, but I have to burrow more deeply into that issue after some more popcorn & coffee.

More later.
    Last edited by Speshio; January 22nd, 2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: fix error, typos

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@Alex: I have this laptop, and had no trouble booting Linux from an external CD drive. No idea what version my BIOS is, though, nor how to find out.

@Speshio: After a fair amount of trial and error, and many forum posts, I found a workable solution: using ndiswrapper with the WinXP driver provided on Realtek's site. The driver is the rtl8192se version, and I found the instructions here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/401126
    No luck yet with a native Linux driver, though (not for want of trying!).
    I should add that wireless works just fine with non-WEP networks, but I haven't been able to convince it to connect to my parents' WEP-protected network. So WEP could be a problem if you use ndiswrapper...
    Last edited by Sissy13; January 25th, 2010 at 03:01 AM.
    int main() {
    insert_clever_signature();
    return 0;
    }

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can anyone of you paste the output of the comands:
    Code:
    lspci
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    ?
    You may want to try the linux driver for realtek. Instructions here

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by AlexZaim View Post
    Can anyone of you paste the output of the comands:
    Code:
    lspci
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    ?
    You may want to try the linux driver for realtek. Instructions here
    Thanks for that linux driver link. I'll have to try it, as I'd really like to get that WEP working. I've hunted all over for linux drivers but haven't been able to find one for my card.

Output of lspci:
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
    00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M-E LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev c0)
    08:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8172 (rev 10)
    Output of lshw -C network:
    Code:
      *-network               
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
           vendor: Attansic Technology Corp.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: c0
           serial: 00:26:9e:87:35:23
           capacity: 100MB/s
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.0.1-NAPI firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
           resources: irq:29 memory:c0000000-c003ffff ioport:2000(size=128)
      *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
           logical name: wlan0
           version: 10
           serial: 70:1a:04:65:ef:de
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+net8192se driverversion=1.55+Realtek Semiconductor Corp. ip=172.16.31.51 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
           resources: irq:17 ioport:3000(size=256) memory:c0100000-c0103fff
    int main() {
    insert_clever_signature();
    return 0;
    }

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast