Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead ends everywhere I turn

Beans

Re: Dead ends everywhere I turn

Wow,just wow.

Everything about this OS is exceedingly difficult for noobs. Even setting up a guest account can be "dangerous" (as outlined here)

Who the hell was I in thinking I could actually set up something in Ubuntu thats dead simple in Widows like VPN?
    Last edited by tzarcasm; January 19th, 2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: none

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tzarcasm View Post
    To which I get something like 'could not find'
    Make sure the /media/cdrom0 folder exists, this has tripped me up plenty of times.
    :: Do Not Click Here ::

Code poet [My paradise is war]

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by tzarcasm View Post
    Wow,just wow.

Everything about this OS is exceedingly difficult for noobs. Even setting up a guest account can be "dangerous" (as outlined here)

Who the hell was I in thinking I could actually set up something in Ubuntu thats dead simple in Widows like VPN?
    Hi, I think the dangerous part of that link has to do with creating a passwordless guest account as opposed to creating a regular guest account, which is easier to do. If you need an easy to remember password for everyone using the same account, you can name the password the same as the username. Not recommended for regular user accounts though.

Beans

Thanks for everyones input but Im done with this for a while-I've been trying for weeks.

Which means back to Windows I go for now. I have to agree with what HermanAB said in my other thread:

"Howdy,

If it will make you feel better... I have been using UNIX since 1984 and I have never been able to get OpenVPN to work either. So it is not easy, despite what other people may tell you.

When I need a VPN, I use SSH and Socks.

Herman"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It's been a while back since I configured my openvpn with Surfbouncer. Did you load the openvpn package via synaptic and all the dependancies. You could use either the openvpn-nm and import the configuration, or use the terminal based openvpn and reference the configuration file. You need three files from them, if I remember correctly.

All this stuff of generating keys should not be necessary, they provide all that.

Cheers,

Sig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12