Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: desktop earth for linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

desktop earth for linux

I'd love to see this happen but right now it's only available for windows.. any chance of getting it to work in linux?

http://www.codefromthe70s.org/desktopearth.aspx

~
    Desktop:ASRock P4i65GV/P4 2.8ghz 2gbram
    Laptop:Toshiba L350-PSLD8C Centrino64 dualcore 2ghz 4gbram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs down Re: desktop earth for linux

I saw this in one of the full circle magazines and had to have it. same problem only available for *******. I'm not a master programmer dispite what my friends and family think, i just know how to get the results I want.

the original updates as the year goes by (more snow in canida) and you can have the program update cloud cover every 3 hours.

my fix does not update cloud cover, and the images are the same year round. but the time updates.

So I install this on my dual boot system changed my system time to every hour on the hour and half hour and saved 48 images. I then copied the xml script from /usr/share/backgounds/cosmos and modified it to fit what I needed. it works quite well I think, at lease good enough for me.

If you port the full program please let me know as I would prefer that but this is all the effort I'm putting into a wallpaper.

http://www.2shared.com/file/u8M5RJX6/earthtar.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: desktop earth for linux

Not very many pop-ups there, can we have a few more please.....
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6 Ghz 2 Gb ram, Asus P5KPL motherboard, 2.5 TB Storage running Hardy.
    HP Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 756 mb ram running Intrepid.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wow that looks great
    But let me point you to something just a little more mind-blowing... and just a little closer to home.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=245

Now it won't be long until this little gem rotates in real time showing live data on your desk.
    Have a nice day, or night... depending on the co-ordinates you've entered I guess

Beans
    Distro

KDE has that.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Red face Re: desktop earth for linux

I just noticed that the upload is missing about 18 images I will reconvert and upload. anyone know of a site with a few less pop ups?

Edit:
    Found one

http://rapidshare.com/files/389968066/earth.zip.html
    Last edited by buck2825; May 21st, 2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: add link

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: desktop earth for linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

can you be a bit more specific, i've found nothing in KDE like this. There is a desktop image switcher but thats all i've found

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    KDE has that.
    ~
    Desktop:ASRock P4i65GV/P4 2.8ghz 2gbram
    Laptop:Toshiba L350-PSLD8C Centrino64 dualcore 2ghz 4gbram

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    can you be a bit more specific, i've found nothing in KDE like this. There is a desktop image switcher but thats all i've found
    He's referring to the Marble wallpaper plugin, which embeds the Marble globe into your desktop. It has a projection view, sunlight, and updating cloud cover. It's pretty heavyweight, though: the most common use case is as a 3D globe like Google Earth, and (last time I checked) wasn't optimised at all for the much simpler case where it just has to show a 2D projection (it used about 70MB of RAM, or something silly like that!)

Here's an old screenshot of mine:

http://img131.imageshack.us/i/kde4ma...lpaperxl5.png/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod View Post
    He's referring to the Marble wallpaper plugin, which embeds the Marble globe into your desktop. It has a projection view, sunlight, and updating cloud cover. It's pretty heavyweight, though: the most common use case is as a 3D globe like Google Earth, and (last time I checked) wasn't optimised at all for the much simpler case where it just has to show a 2D projection (it used about 70MB of RAM, or something silly like that!)
    Ahh, I had no idea it was heavyweight. When you've got 6 GiB of RAM you don't tend to notice a process using 70 MiB

My favourite view is the archaic map, I love it. Unfortunately I'm back on Gnome.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast