Thread: Interest in the "Mafia" style games grows...

Beans

Interest in the "Mafia" style games grows...

I find myself adicted to mafia games. No, not like that lame Facebook mafia video game, or whatever, the mafia party game, where you have to find out who's the mafia out of the "town." Wikipedia has a lot of information on it.

I've tried epic mafia, AAO Mafia, VG Mafia, Zetaboards Mafia, Mafia Scum, and irc.swiftirc.net #mafia .

Any more potential places that are good for a game? Am I the only fan of it here?
    Are you a trumpet player?
    'On vacation for the week. In Yosemite National Park. A sign on the road said, “Speeding kills bears.” And all I can think is, “Who let them drive in the first place?"' -Stephan Pastis

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Interest in the "Mafia" style games grows...

I don't care for the games but I watch every mafia documentary I can get my hands on. Also, movies, series, etc.

Beans

I play mafia on MafiaScum, my username is kyle99.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    I don't care for the games but I watch every mafia documentary I can get my hands on. Also, movies, series, etc.
    I too like to watch the movies, some of them are truly great.

I've also recently read a few books, still reading one:

Gangs of New York, the one the movie was based on, of course the book is vastly superior to what is also a great Martin Scorsese film.

It gives the true history of the gangs, gang wars which were won by & fought between the Irish. It shows the birth of political corruption in New York, covering a period of somewhat more than 120 years.

Then the next book is called "The Mafia, The First 100 Years", which carries on from the previous book, bringing the Italians in, & showing the history initially of the war between the Italians & the Irish, which the Italians obviously won, the much shorter & smaller war with the Chinese, which the Italians also won, then the internal conflicts & history up to the beginning of the 1990s.

Then the book I'm currently reading is called "I Heard You Paint Houses" which is about Hoffa, & how he was hit, by Frank Sheeran. Taken from 4 years of mostly taped interviews with Frank.

It is an extremely well written book, I'm not too far into it at this point.

Hopefully that'll be it for me & the gangster history books.

Reading this stuff has shown me how these days, we are living in a time where the gangs have evolved into sophisticated corporations, where they can hide their actions very deeply in corporate bureaucracy & rarely ever do the gangsters get caught (personally) for the existence of the crimes that they are responsible for.
    Last edited by handy; January 18th, 2010 at 11:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I like to watch Takeshi kitano films. And the films from 70's and 80's about the yakuza. some of my not so distant relatives were quite active in sumiyoshi-kai years ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Slightly off-topic, but recently I've been getting into adult games and dating sims. Many of these games are Flash-based and as such work perfectly well in Ubuntu, and some of them are quite good.

Unfortunately it's illegal to distribute these games in my country because there's no R18+ classification for games.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The Mafia party game is the single best party game ever.

Especially when you play it with people who do theater sports.
    Writer for OMG! Ubuntu!, Editor-in-Chief Ubuntu Gamer. Co-founder of media and software company Ohso.

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I too like to watch the movies, some of them are truly great.

I've also recently read a few books, still reading one:

Gangs of New York, the one the movie was based on, of course the book is vastly superior to what is also a great Martin Scorsese film.

It gives the true history of the gangs, gang wars which were won by & fought between the Irish. It shows the birth of political corruption in New York, covering a period of somewhat more than 120 years.

Then the next book is called "The Mafia, The First 100 Years", which carries on from the previous book, bringing the Italians in, & showing the history initially of the war between the Italians & the Irish, which the Italians obviously won, the much shorter & smaller war with the Chinese, which the Italians also won, then the internal conflicts & history up to the beginning of the 1990s.

Then the book I'm currently reading is called "I Heard You Paint Houses" which is about Hoffa, & how he was hit, by Frank Sheeran. Taken from 4 years of mostly taped interviews with Frank.

It is an extremely well written book, I'm not too far into it at this point.

Hopefully that'll be it for me & the gangster history books.

Reading this stuff has shown me how these days, we are living in a time where the gangs have evolved into sophisticated corporations, where they can hide their actions very deeply in corporate bureaucracy & rarely ever do the gangsters get caught (personally) for the existence of the crimes that they are responsible for.
    Oh, nice! I'll I confess I've never read Gangs, so will have to start there. Good suggestions, thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by humphreybc View Post
    The Mafia party game is the single best party game ever.
    Agreed
    Are you a trumpet player?
    'On vacation for the week. In Yosemite National Park. A sign on the road said, “Speeding kills bears.” And all I can think is, “Who let them drive in the first place?"' -Stephan Pastis