Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: error when using ifort

Beans

error when using ifort

Code:
    mike@mike-desktop:~/study/jiang/codes/fortran/rational_part/ffttest$ ifort my_precision.f90
    /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/bin/ia32/fortcom: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    ifort: error #10273: Fatal error in /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/bin/ia32/fortcom, terminated by 0x7f
    I just installed the intel fortran compiler. When trying to compile a simple test program, I encountered the above error. Anybody can tell me how to solve this problem? Thanks a lot.

Beans

Re: error when using ifort

bump up

Beans

bump up again~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Are you sourcing the necessary files?
    if you use bash, there should be a line like

. /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/056/bin/intel64/ifortvars_intel64.sh

in your .bashrc file.
    Note the dot ( . ) at the beginning and also you should look for the path of your installation. It is probably a bit different. Also be aware that I am using the 64 bits compiler, if you use the 32 bit one, the path will be slightly different.

after adding that (with the necesary changes), start a new terminal and try again.

Cheers!

edit: other possibility is that you are missing some dependencies. Check if the package "libstdc++" exist in your distribution and that it is installed. I am currently not using ubuntu, so I do not know what the exact name is for the package, but googling a bit should be enough.
    Last edited by beren.olvar; January 18th, 2010 at 04:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beren.olvar View Post
    Are you sourcing the necessary files?
    if you use bash, there should be a line like

in your .bashrc file.
    Note the dot ( . ) at the beginning and also you should look for the path of your installation. It is probably a bit different. Also be aware that I am using the 64 bits compiler, if you use the 32 bit one, the path will be slightly different.

after adding that (with the necesary changes), start a new terminal and try again.

Cheers!

edit: other possibility is that you are missing some dependencies. Check if the package "libstdc++" exist in your distribution and that it is installed. I am currently not using ubuntu, so I do not know what the exact name is for the package, but googling a bit should be enough.
    Buddy, thanks a lot. Your explanation and suggestion are very helpful. In fact, following the suggestion in the thread below,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=ifort

I had added
    Code:
    PATH="/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/bin/ia32:$PATH"
    export PATH
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/lib/ia32:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    in the .bashrc file and have "sourced" it before I posted this thread. Is there anything wrong with the above lines? Thanks.
    Last edited by subjugater; January 18th, 2010 at 05:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Sourcing (dotting) the file ifortvars_intel64.sh takes care of the extra lines you have added. I don't know if having them repeated can cause any problem, but in any case you should try commenting them out, just to see if something changes.
    If you have also installed the dependencies listed in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=ifort , particularly libstdc++6, then I am running out of ideas.
    May be you could try reinstalling, and see if the installer complains about something.

post back your results!
    good luck!

Beans

Sourcing (dotting) the file ifortvars_intel64.sh takes care of the extra lines you have added. I don't know if having them repeated can cause any problem, but in any case you should try commenting them out, just to see if something changes.
    If you have also installed the dependencies listed in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=ifort , particularly libstdc++6, then I am running out of ideas.
    May be you could try reinstalling, and see if the installer complains about something.

post back your results!
    good luck!
    Buddy, thanks for your post. I get 3 questions.

1. By the file ifortvars_intel64.sh, which file you are referring to? In which folder? I am lost when stepping into those folders, 'coz I found that thousands of files in many different places share almost the same name like "ifortvars_intel64.sh".

2. To be frank, I even don't know if I installed the right version. I know that my desktop has two cores (cpus). But my friend told me that this doesn't mean that the computer is of 64-bit architecture and the architecture of the computer also depends on the choice I made when install the ubuntu. Is it correct? Is there any way for me to test on my desktop to see which architecture I am using?

3. Is there any tutorial can help me out with the fundamental of the structure of ubuntu? Perhaps I need to learn more about the underlying structure of linux, if I intend to understand the installation procedure of any software, like ifort.

Sorry, if my questions are dumb or naive. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

In my first post I told you to add the following line to your .bashrc file

That file will automatically change your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH as needed.
    The actual route of the file will change according to your version and architecture. But should be something very similar.

To get your architecture you can write in a terminal

uname -a

and if something like x86_64 appears, then you have a 64bit operating system, otherwise (only something like x86) you have a 32bit OS.

After finding that out, you should try reinstalling the compiler to make sure you have the right version for you (the compiler has a 64 and 32 bit versions, you can choose at install time).

Finally, you can certainly read some manuals and tutorials, but I think a good way to learn how to use linux is just to play around, make mistakes and learn how to fix them know that the "man" command is very helpful and come to the forums when you run out of clues

Let us know whether your compiler is working or not

cheers

Beans

In my first post I told you to add the following line to your .bashrc file

That file will automatically change your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH as needed.
    The actual route of the file will change according to your version and architecture. But should be something very similar.

To get your architecture you can write in a terminal

uname -a

and if something like x86_64 appears, then you have a 64bit operating system, otherwise (only something like x86) you have a 32bit OS.

After finding that out, you should try reinstalling the compiler to make sure you have the right version for you (the compiler has a 64 and 32 bit versions, you can choose at install time).

Finally, you can certainly read some manuals and tutorials, but I think a good way to learn how to use linux is just to play around, make mistakes and learn how to fix them know that the "man" command is very helpful and come to the forums when you run out of clues

Let us know whether your compiler is working or not

cheers
    Buddy, thanks for your post. I followed what you told and have already copied and pasted that line in the .bashrc file. Unfortunately, it doesn't work.

I checked the architecture of my desktop by using "uname". The answer given by the terminal is:
    Code:
    Linux mike-desktop 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    So this means that my system is of 32-bit, right? If this is the case, which version of the ifort compiler on the following webpage should I install? Is the last choice "Redistributable Libraries" useful for me?

https://registrationcenter.intel.com...equence=975596

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much for your help along this thread. I really appreciate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Sorry for the delay in my reply.

Yes, you have a 32 bit OS. You should install the IA-32 version and I think the Redistributable Libraries are not needed unless you want to redistribute your executables.

I hope you can now have the compiler running.
    Post back your results!

cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast