Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu sync with Android. What's the status?

Beans

Ubuntu sync with Android. What's the status?

Hi, what's the status on Ubuntu syncing with Android? I searched, but couldn't find anything definative.

I want to get an Android phone (Droid, Nexus One, or next multi-carrier version), but don't want to sync using windows.

How is sync?
    - Music
    - Podcasts - audio and video (this is biggest for me)
    - Contacts
    - Backups
    - Etc.

Thanks,

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Re: Ubuntu sync with Android. What's the status?

Music and videos are covered, for everything else just sync over the air via google(contacts, mail, calendar)
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by michaelcole View Post
    Hi, what's the status on Ubuntu syncing with Android? I searched, but couldn't find anything definative.

I want to get an Android phone (Droid, Nexus One, or next multi-carrier version), but don't want to sync using windows.

How is sync?
    - Music
    - Podcasts - audio and video (this is biggest for me)
    - Contacts
    - Backups
    - Etc.

Thanks,

Mike
    Hi Mike

With applications like Evolution Mail or thunderbird you can sync your calender contacts and email using your googlemail detials very easily. Rhythmbox can pick up your android phone and will allow your do drag and drop songs to and from you music collection and to the phone. Podcasts I haven't played with yet. You can browse the SD card in the phone like a memory stick so backing up on that level is easy. As for backing up apps there are free apps that will allow you to backup to sd card then to your pc if you like.

Other more advanced things you maybe interesting in include
    1 Remote controlling you mythtv box using the android phone
    2 Streaming music and video from your network host to the phone
    3 using ssh and telnet or even gui log onto you computer through you phone.
    4 many other possibilities

Ps I have a G1 with android 1.6 but the nexus one is equally if not more capable.
    "When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal; you do not change your decision to get there.", Zig Ziglar

Beans

can you sync them with an AOL account?

(yes, I have AOL, I've had it for years, so its staying.)

I know you can get AOL email on Evolution and AOL on an Android phone, but can you get them to sync?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by swiftwood View Post
    can you sync them with an AOL account?

(yes, I have AOL, I've had it for years, so its staying.)

I know you can get AOL email on Evolution and AOL on an Android phone, but can you get them to sync?
    If you've got POP3 access to your AOL email, you're sorted. Just open a Gmail account and get it to retrieve all your mail from AOL and it'll show up on the phone.

Beans
    Distro

Oops, double post!
    Last edited by Paqman; March 14th, 2010 at 02:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Dear All,

I've read your answers with interest, but I am looking for a way to sync evolution with android WITHOUT any google tool. I dont use google to protect my personal data...

If there are possibilites to avoid google, i would love to buy an android phone..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by phen View Post
    I dont use google to protect my personal data...
    Android is probably not the best phone OS for you then. You can use the apps on the phone itself without a Google account, but syncing to a PC will require you to use Google.

Beans

This is really something people in Linux development need to get a grip on. At the moment it's a bit of a mess. There is no consistency when it comes to syncing portable devices and they really should be these days.

Ubuntu needs to do this in a simple, sensible and direct way. It seems like we are playing catch up. Microsoft has had this capability in outlook for years with many different phones.
    Last edited by Johnsie; September 27th, 2010 at 11:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I use Banshee to sync music and podcasts to my Nexus One. Its really easy to set up, and you can set it to sync automatically when you plug in your phone.

As for your contacts, calenders, emails etc I can't help you with that, I have a gmail account, so all my mail, contacts and calender sync automatically with the phone and Thunderbird using imap.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast