Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter working on Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Re: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter working on Ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by TenPlus1 View Post
    I used a combination of this thread and the one above to get this to work.

What I discovered is that security needs to be set to WPA and not WPA2.

Glenn

Beans

Unhappy Re: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter working on Ubuntu 9.10

It seems there are many threads relating to the WNDA3100v2 in the forums? And a lot of confusion RE: OS/architecture?

Has anyone found a working solution for 11.04 64Bit?
    I've got it showing as present in Windows Wireless Devices, but wlan0 isn't enabled/present in Network Tools.
    Any help is much appreciated... This worked fine on 320Bit, but I want to use all my RAM and would like to avoid buying a new w/less adapter if poss!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rich_hemmings View Post
    It seems there are many threads relating to the WNDA3100v2 in the forums? And a lot of confusion RE: OS/architecture?

Has anyone found a working solution for 11.04 64Bit?
    I've got it showing as present in Windows Wireless Devices, but wlan0 isn't enabled/present in Network Tools.
    Any help is much appreciated... This worked fine on 320Bit, but I want to use all my RAM and would like to avoid buying a new w/less adapter if poss!!
    I having the same problem

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eli2 View Post
    I having the same problem
    Same thing here.
    Last edited by kinu; October 4th, 2011 at 06:48 PM.

Beans

I think we all suffer from the same problem: Linux lacks the ability to Plug and Play, such as windows has. Most of the problem over this lies within that most of the hardware made today is made for Mac OS or Windows. So, in turn, Linux cannot use plug and play functionality as external drivers need to be installed, and we all know that is a pain.

Native Linux drivers are rare. Most big shot companies think it is too expensive to make them, and linux users are a minority. To anyone working for those companies who is reading this, WE ARE HERE AND WE WANT NATIVE LINUX DRIVERS! So we are stuck with ndiswrapper. In my opinion, ndiswrapper is a pain to use for me. It frequently lies that the hardware is present, even though my adapter does not work. Most ndiswrapper errors go unexplained, until you look up what they mean using dmesg. The only other viable option is to go out, and buy a adapter that is compatible with linux, and tossing out your perfectly useable adapter because some company decided that no one uses linux anymore.

Sorry for the full scale rant, I'm just pissed off that companies would just shun Linux users like that. Its atrocious, and unfair.

I suggest we all write a letter to the big companies (Netgear, Linksys, Belkin) and tell them how we really feel. I'm tired of this stupidity and want answers, not worthless excuses.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter working on Ubuntu 9.10

One and all, I have spent the better part of three days sifting through all of your attempts. The NetGear dongle is useful only to Windows. Frustrated, I went downstairs to my box of impedimenta from years gone by, found a D-Link DWL-122 rather low speed USB wireless device, plugged it in, entered my security stuff, and viola (sic), it worked! Immediately. My sense is not to agree with those dissing on Ubuntu (for this sort of thing anyway). Rather, NetGear should get out of Microsoft's pockets, get with the picture, and understand that the world is rather sick of Redmond. Make room for the rest of us. BTW, Mac is included with the rest of us (for the nonce) as far as I am concerned.

I suggest that the advice of others is useful: buy something else!

Cheers.

Beans

I am using the Netgear WNDA3100v2 with Ubuntu 11.04.

I used ndiswrapper and installed the windows .inf file (bcmwhigh5 or something).

The wireless works fine except that I have to reinstall each time I reboot.

This might offer some help but anyone know what I have to do so it is not necessarey to reinstall driver every time I reboot?

Beans

These instructions are a MESS for 11.10. Nothing is where it is supposed to be. Is there anyone out there who could rewrite these instructions for 11.10???? Please? Getting desperate. I need to place this computer in a room that has no wire. Wireless is my only option. My summer reading starts in a few weeks. I really really need this to work.

As in no more SYNAPTIC!?!?!?!?!?!?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by marianlibrarian; April 23rd, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
    Public Library - 4 Public Access "GROOVIX" Computers! Our library has been an Ubuntu fan since 2007 AND our public access computers are still here!
    Have an open mind. Your brain will not fall out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by marianlibrarian View Post
    These instructions are a MESS for 11.10. Nothing is where it is supposed to be. Is there anyone out there who could rewrite these instructions for 11.10???? Please? Getting desperate. I need to place this computer in a room that has no wire. Wireless is my only option. My summer reading starts in a few weeks. I really really need this to work.

As in no more SYNAPTIC!?!?!?!?!?!?

thanks in advance
    Please stick with your other thread.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123