Thread: ecryptfs: keyring not cleared on logout

Beans

Question ecryptfs: keyring not cleared on logout

Hi!

On a fresh karmic install, I have a user account with ecryptfs enabled home directory. I want that directory to be secured when I log out.

This is what puzzles me:

I have two administrator accounts, user1 and user2. I log in as user1 (with ssh, will test regular logins tomorrow), /home/user1/.Private gets mounted to /home/user1, everything is fine. I log out.

I log in as user2, and /home/user1/.Private is indeed unmounted. But I can do
    Code:
    sudo su - user1
    which will ask me for the password of user2, and then I am logged in as user1, /home/user1/.Private is again mounted, without ever typing the password of user1.

On the other hand if I invoke
    Code:
    ecryptfs-umount-private
    as user1 and then log out, I can no longer access the encrypted data as user2 with the sudo trick:
    Code:
    user2@crash:~$ sudo su - user1
    keyctl_search: Required key not available
    Perhaps try the interactive 'ecryptfs-mount-private'
    This looks to me as if the ecryptfs passphrase used to mount the encrypted directory is not cleared from the keyring when I log out, but only when I invoke ecryptfs-umount-private.

Can anyone confirm this behavior or explain what is going on?

Best regards.
    Raimar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: ecryptfs: keyring not cleared on logout

Hi,
    This indeed happens. But not always. You could add the following line to your ~/.bash_logout file to ensure that the private directory is unmounted and hence encrypted again when you logout.
    Code:
    # to unmounting ecryptfs private folder

ecryptfs-umount-private
    HTH
    --
    Yogesh.