Thread: Newb Questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Newb Questions

Some questions I've had but haven't been able to answer on my own with Google:

1. What's a prism? Some programs in the software center say they are ___ prisms.

2. Can I run two programs that interact with each other on Wine? E. G., a game and a program that lets you skip to the next track from within a game? If so, how do I open two programs simultaneously under Wine?

3. Is there a way to at least make my username displayed with a capital first letter? It's driving me crazy. It said it was invalid to use a capital letter during installation, but I don't see any reason why it should not be displayed with a capital. Alternatively, could I use a special character that looks like a capital, like an Ʌ instead of an A? That might not be smart though in case I ever have to put in my username manually and can't choose the username from a list.

Thank you! ...All sixteen of my posts have been annoying questions, but I'm almost completely set up on Ubuntu now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Newb Questions

Bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dweomer View Post
    Some questions I've had but haven't been able to answer on my own with Google:

1. What's a prism? Some programs in the software center say they are ___ prisms.

2. Can I run two programs that interact with each other on Wine? E. G., a game and a program that lets you skip to the next track from within a game? If so, how do I open two programs simultaneously under Wine?

3. Is there a way to at least make my username displayed with a capital first letter? It's driving me crazy. It said it was invalid to use a capital letter during installation, but I don't see any reason why it should not be displayed with a capital. Alternatively, could I use a special character that looks like a capital, like an Ʌ instead of an A? That might not be smart though in case I ever have to put in my username manually and can't choose the username from a list.

Thank you! ...All sixteen of my posts have been annoying questions, but I'm almost completely set up on Ubuntu now!
    1. These I believe are programs that you can install from within browsers like say FireFox, for instance Gmail can be installed to run as a program directly from your Desktop rather than having to open FF.

I do not use Wine so do not want to even attempt to answer this one for you.

3. I can't give you a technical answer other than that I believe it to be a Linux thing in general. Not sure why, but even the symbol idea wouldn't work for your information. You could always go into users and groups and play around in there (for lack of a better term) and see what else might work for you.

Hope this helps at least a little bit and someone with some more knowledge chimes in to fill in the blanks that I left open.
    Earl S. Sharp----------------------------------------
    Ubuntu User # 27653 |Linux user # 491157 | LPI # 183649
    Please mark threads as solved...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's unfortunate. At least now I know what a prism is.

New question: How do I find where programs are installed to? I downloaded Gmail Notify, and I found System > Preferences > Startup Applications, but I can't for the life of me find where the program is. The command to put in would be fine, too, but I also need to know how to figure out commands for other programs or else I have to ask every time.

The previous two unanswered questions still need attention as well!

Bump.
    Please wait for 24 hours with no posts before you bumping your thread. Thank you.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Please wait for 24 hours with no posts before you bumping your thread. Thank you.
    Because waiting 7 hours isn't long enough, and I couldn't stealthily bump with a new question? Unenforceable and arbitrary. A seven hour wait for an answer is more than reasonable. Forget it, marked as solved. That's unforgivably stupid.