Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VNC - remote desktop does not refresh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

VNC - remote desktop does not refresh

Hi

I have just started playing with VNC and after some trial and error I can access the 'remote' machine (actually it is next to the 'local' one). I get to see the display and can move the mouse and 'send' mouse clicks to the remote machine. This has the expected effect on the remote machine but the display on the local machine stays exactly the same. For example, if I click on the icon for google chrome on the desktop of remote machine, chrome starts on that box, but the display on local stays as the desktop. Any Clues?

TIA
    To err is human, but not uniquely so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: VNC - remote desktop does not refresh

Hi not sure what you mean do u expect the program to appear on local machine as well as remote machine?

Beans
    Distro

I mean I expect changes on the remote machine to appear in the local machine window of the vnc client. What happens is that the display on the local machine does not change from how the remote machine looked at the moment of accessing via VNC (this is happening with both vinagre and xvnc4viewer by the way)
    Last edited by ubername; January 17th, 2010 at 12:16 PM.

Beans

I have a similar problem and made a post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1383388

The problem I have is that my remote viewer to Ubuntu doesn't work from my laptop. I am not sure if this is as a result of updating the nvidia drivers. (link to post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1379251

I can view remotely but the mouse cursor only works on the ubuntu machine and not my laptop, the screen doesn't change on my laptop once the viewer is loaded in the ubuntu machine so moving the mouse on the laptop moves on the both machines but doesn't control from the laptop.

Secondly the keypad from my laptop works externally, so I can type on my laptop and it shows on the ubuntu machine.

Lastly, the screen on my laptop doesn't change with the ubuntu machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ubername View Post
    Hi

I have just started playing with VNC and after some trial and error I can access the 'remote' machine (actually it is next to the 'local' one). I get to see the display and can move the mouse and 'send' mouse clicks to the remote machine. This has the expected effect on the remote machine but the display on the local machine stays exactly the same. For example, if I click on the icon for google chrome on the desktop of remote machine, chrome starts on that box, but the display on local stays as the desktop. Any Clues?

TIA
    I have been experiencing exactly the same problem with a number of releases of Ubuntu. Whether its when I'm using VNC from my iPhone or logging in from another Ubuntu machine. I see no refresh on the client end, but if I watch the machine which I log into I see the mouse move as normal.

Would be interested if anyone can come up with a fix for this. Very annoying!
    Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

I got a solution via my post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...37#post8678737

Remove the desktop effects via preferences/appearence/visual effects and it sorts the problem out.

Beans

I had the same problem but turning off visual effects on the remote machine did not fix it.

Both machines are running Ubuntu 9.10.

I solved it by installing gnome-rdp on the local machine, along with having visual effects on the remote machine turned off.

I like this viewer better than the default viewer and it seems to be faster.

Beans
    Distro

Removing Desktop Effects worked for me. Marking as 'Solved'

Beans

Worked for me also.
    Is there any workaround if I still want to have desktop effects enabled? I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 64 and connecting with VNC from my windows xp laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Worked for me as well. Thanks for the tip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast