Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for speeding up Ubuntu noticeably?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Tips for speeding up Ubuntu noticeably?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bean View Post
    This reply doesn't really address the question, since the speed gained is at the cost of lost functionality. Taken to its logical conclusion this approach leads to the answer not use a desktop at all...
    Is there a multi-client IM for terminal? (IE: Pidgin/Ayttm for Desktop)

Is there a web browser for terminal that can run flash and not botch up javascript, etc?

Is there a gstreamer-backend terminal media-player with repeat-one track forever option?

Quote Originally Posted by humphreybc View Post
    Wow I just installed preload and it does make a huge difference. This should be installed by default.
    No, it shouldn't. I have a 512 MB RAM System still, and am not giving it up for anything anytime soon, and by a minimal install GNOME/XFCE take up as much as 212 MB at the most I have seen alone (almost 300 MB RAM for installing an APP while doing other things), so preloading it all (the entire OS) into RAM wouldn't cut it for me.
    Last edited by Psumi; January 17th, 2010 at 02:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    Is there a multi-client IM for terminal? (IE: Pidgin/Ayttm for Desktop)
    (etc)
    I think you're suffering from irony deficiency

Beans

If you arent using 64bit already, install it next time. Its faster in general, and a lot faster on some tasks.

Also, while this doesnt help that much, its worth doing- go into your BIOS and turn off all the junk you dont need (typically serial ports, parallel port). If you have a floppy disc but dont use it (90%+ of computers) disconnect the floppy drive, and turn it off in BIOS as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have an old sony vio laptop that holds a whopping 10 gig hard drive and 128mb or ram at the most. I run it under Fluxbuntu, but I had to installed Ubuntu 9.04 first to get my wireless card working, disable and deleted all the programs I didn't need. Then I installed the Fluxbuntu from the package manager. I rebooted the computer and changed the desktop sessions from Ubuntu to Fluxbuntu. Now I can actually what youtube videos and my music doesn't skip from my dvd drive. That's noticeably faster to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    If you arent using 64bit already, install it next time. Its faster in general, and a lot faster on some tasks.

Also, while this doesnt help that much, its worth doing- go into your BIOS and turn off all the junk you dont need (typically serial ports, parallel port). If you have a floppy disc but dont use it (90%+ of computers) disconnect the floppy drive, and turn it off in BIOS as well.
    Doh! I -never- remember to do that! I swear my BIOS also tries loading typewriters, dinosaurs, blimps, robots from the future and holographic stickers from the 90's. (i.e. it's slow, so thanks for the tip!)
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by humphreybc View Post
    Wow I just installed preload and it does make a huge difference. This should be installed by default.

I already use Google Chrome, I've already disabled startup services and applications, I've already removed unused applications/residual config data/orphaned packages etc etc

I guess there's not much else one can do except go to XFCE - But I like Gnome too much
    Switching window manager just to get better performance on CURRENT GEN hardware is not an acceptable recommendation IMO.

I probably could squeeze a ton more performance out of my hardware if one tried (and one hadn't accidentally reinstalled Ubuntu using a x86 disc >_<).

going of on a tangent, having only ever used x64 bit Ubuntu since Gutsy it's really -odd- using x86 and not having to use some of the 'hacks' or 'fudges' to get some things to run...

Any-noddle - Thanks for mentioning preload tho Mr HBC, i'll check that out. =)
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Heh yeah I've been using 64 bit ever since I first installed Ubuntu.

I was looking for more "un obvious" ways to speed up Ubuntu.

I swear my BIOS also tries loading typewriters, dinosaurs, blimps, robots from the future and holographic stickers from the 90's. (i.e. it's slow, so thanks for the tip!)
    Haha!

So turning off BIOS stuff can make a difference on performance? I never knew...
    Writer for OMG! Ubuntu!, Editor-in-Chief Ubuntu Gamer. Co-founder of media and software company Ohso.

Beans

Well i never noticed any...
    Primarily its the Desktop Environment (Gnome, Xfce, KDE etc) that shapes the overall experience.
    Xfce is the fastest (and uses the least amount of RAM) of all i used (from the above 3) - there are faster ones, but not officially supported.

Beans

I would recommend building your own kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

i made a brainstorm entry
    Install preload by default

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast