Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Login screen appears on wrong monitor

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, Arizona
    Beans
    152
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Login screen appears on wrong monitor

    I've been working my butt off all day now trying to get the nvidia drivers installed and then (the hard part) get dual screen to work properly with them installed. Finally I've gotten to the point where both of my screens are working perfect but now the login screen is on the second monitor instead of the first monitor for some reason I do not know. Can someone please help?

    Here's my xorg.conf if it helps any:
    Code:
    # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
    # nvidia-settings:  version 1.0  (buildd@crested)  Sun Feb  1 20:25:37 UTC 2009
    
    
    Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection
    
    Section "Module"
        Load           "glx"
    EndSection
    
    Section "ServerFlags"
        Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
    
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
    
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection
    
    Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "STAC Electronics eView 17f"
        HorizSync       30.0 - 72.0
        VertRefresh     50.0 - 160.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection
    
    Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Configured Video Device"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection
    
    Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "GeForce 9500 GT"
    EndSection
    
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Configured Screen Device"
        Device         "Configured Video Device"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Virtual     1280 1024
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    
    Section "Screen"
    
    # Removed Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, CRT-1: 1280x1024_60 +1280+0"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "1"
        Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
        Option         "metamodes" "CRT-0: 1280x1024_60 +0+0, CRT-1: 1280x1024_60 +1280+0"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    MB: MSI 890GXM-G65 - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, Quad Core @ 3.4GHz - RAM: A-DATA 2GiB DDR3 1600 RAM, x2 = 4GiB @ 1333MHz - GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+, 512MiB GDDR3 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 500GiB @ 7200RPMs - 2 in RAID0

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, Arizona
    Beans
    152
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Login screen appears on wrong monitor

    Anyone?
    MB: MSI 890GXM-G65 - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, Quad Core @ 3.4GHz - RAM: A-DATA 2GiB DDR3 1600 RAM, x2 = 4GiB @ 1333MHz - GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+, 512MiB GDDR3 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 500GiB @ 7200RPMs - 2 in RAID0

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Australian in Germany
    Beans
    4,010
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Login screen appears on wrong monitor

    Hallo.
    I can't solve the problem, but I can tell you about mine.
    My login mostly appears on the primary screen, but occasionally on the other one. I don't worry about that too much. As long as it comes up alright when I am logged in, I can't be bothered trying to sort it out. It is annoying, but not a great drama for me.
    Michael

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    101

    Re: Login screen appears on wrong monitor

    Same problem here, I think it has something to do with my second monitor being on the left, so it has the position absolute +0+0 while my primary is on the right with a non +0+0 position.

    - Jump For Joy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, Arizona
    Beans
    152
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Login screen appears on wrong monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpForJoy View Post
    Same problem here, I think it has something to do with my second monitor being on the left, so it has the position absolute +0+0 while my primary is on the right with a non +0+0 position.

    - Jump For Joy
    I did some more Googling and found out that it's because the GDM starts on the screen that the mouse pointer starts on, which aparently is one pixel onto the second monitor (wtf is the pointer doing starting in the middle of the two screens? It belongs in the middle of the first screen) so does anyone know how to set the mouse pointer to "start" in the middle of the first screen/monitor?
    MB: MSI 890GXM-G65 - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, Quad Core @ 3.4GHz - RAM: A-DATA 2GiB DDR3 1600 RAM, x2 = 4GiB @ 1333MHz - GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+, 512MiB GDDR3 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 500GiB @ 7200RPMs - 2 in RAID0

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    101

    Re: Login screen appears on wrong monitor

    It makes sense that it would be in the middle, because twinview "tricks" your computer into thinking that your 2 monitors are one long monitor. I still don't know how you'd fix it. But I find it hardly worth worrying about.

    - Jump For Joy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, Arizona
    Beans
    152
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Login screen appears on wrong monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpForJoy View Post
    It makes sense that it would be in the middle, because twinview "tricks" your computer into thinking that your 2 monitors are one long monitor. I still don't know how you'd fix it. But I find it hardly worth worrying about.

    - Jump For Joy
    For me it's a big annoyance since my second monitor is much older and takes awhile to warm up to where I can see what is on the screen (both monitors are CRT's), plus I just want everything working how it should, I don't like ignoring things just because they aren't huge problems.
    MB: MSI 890GXM-G65 - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, Quad Core @ 3.4GHz - RAM: A-DATA 2GiB DDR3 1600 RAM, x2 = 4GiB @ 1333MHz - GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+, 512MiB GDDR3 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 500GiB @ 7200RPMs - 2 in RAID0

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    101

    Re: Login screen appears on wrong monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyMrK View Post
    For me it's a big annoyance since my second monitor is much older and takes awhile to warm up to where I can see what is on the screen (both monitors are CRT's), plus I just want everything working how it should, I don't like ignoring things just because they aren't huge problems.
    True, is this a common problem with nVidia cards?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Australian in Germany
    Beans
    4,010
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Login screen appears on wrong monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpForJoy View Post
    True, is this a common problem with nVidia cards?
    Given that the problem is the result of the way nVidia does twin view, I dare say that the behaviour would be the same for all nVidia cards. It might not be a problem with other cards, because xinerama apparently stiches together a number of screens, instead of stretching one across several monitors.

    @TheOnlyMrK : what are the sizes of your monitors? The old one, your second one, must be bigger than the newer, your first monitor, is it? That would mean that there is no point juggling the postions around, because the larger one will always hang over the centre, wont it?
    Michael

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, Arizona
    Beans
    152
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Login screen appears on wrong monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    Given that the problem is the result of the way nVidia does twin view, I dare say that the behaviour would be the same for all nVidia cards. It might not be a problem with other cards, because xinerama apparently stiches together a number of screens, instead of stretching one across several monitors.

    @TheOnlyMrK : what are the sizes of your monitors? The old one, your second one, must be bigger than the newer, your first monitor, is it? That would mean that there is no point juggling the postions around, because the larger one will always hang over the centre, wont it?
    The first monitor is a bigger and newer flatscreen CRT (not sure the size, in a rush since it's the morning so I'll check after school) and the second one is just a basic CRT monitor probably from late 90's/early 2000's and doesn't show all colors correctly so yeah I can't switch them around.
    MB: MSI 890GXM-G65 - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, Quad Core @ 3.4GHz - RAM: A-DATA 2GiB DDR3 1600 RAM, x2 = 4GiB @ 1333MHz - GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+, 512MiB GDDR3 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 500GiB @ 7200RPMs - 2 in RAID0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •