Thread: How Can I Temporarily Disable Compiz?

Beans

How Can I Temporarily Disable Compiz?

I have always been told, in fact, as often as I've been told to eat my vegetables, to disable Compiz before playing games in Ubuntu. I found that after doing so and playing Half-Life 2: Episode 1, I had better performance, even with higher settings available. I disabled Compiz by typing
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    However, when I do this, and log out and log in again, Compiz is not enabled. I have to either manually type
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    or go into "Effects", click on normal, then disable the effects that I do not want. The normal effect level keeps adding effects that I do not want! This is very annoying, as either way, I still have to do some manual work. Is there any way to get Compiz to start at startup even if it was disabled by metacity --replace in the previous session? That is, besides putting compiz --replace into Startup Applications. I want my computer to start with Compiz, not start with Metacity, then replace Metacity, then start Compiz. I am using Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit.

Beans

Re: How Can I Temporarily Disable Compiz?

I use fusion-icon to toggle between compiz and metacity. Also save your current compiz settings profile then u can load it in again if it mess up.
    So She Said Internet, And I Said Inter-Not

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs up Re: How Can I Temporarily Disable Compiz?

My solution was to create custom keyboard shortcuts
    to switch between metacity and compiz.

ctl alt home => compiz --replace
    ctl alt end => metacity --replace

You can do this in system-preferences-keyboard shortcuts
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How Can I Temporarily Disable Compiz?

I use compiz-switch myself.

I find that on this machine I don't need to use it as much as I do on my desktop back home. On that machine certain programs would glitch bigtime under Compiz. Here it's just Skype, Open Office, and maybe one or two others, and they glitch in an entirely different way.