Thread: The sun is shining, the heatsink is clean!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The sun is shining, the heatsink is clean!

So glorious is the peace brought by having a clean laptop! No crazy high temperatures and a keyboard so hot you have to turn on the air conditioner!

Of course, I am exaggerating a bit about the temps, but the gpu temp is at about 47C and the core is at 35C, where before I cleaned it they were both hovering at 50C, sometimes higher, even when the computer was just idling.

The oddity of it is, you can't buy compressed air in the US (at least in arkansas) unless you are 18 or older. It used to just sit on the shelf where anyone could buy it. I wonder what stupid kid spilled it on his hands or lit one and threw it at a school...

Anywho, I'm just so happy that I can just start the computer and the fan doesnt't go hyper on me. Just had to say it.
    ~Do Not Be Deceived! This is a signature!~
    ~$sudolife: I don't post junk but then again, I don't update it much, either~
    AXE COP IZ DA BOMB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: The sun is shining, the heatsink is clean!

Not to mention the fact that if you set it on your lap you wont get third degree burns.

Beans
    Hidden!

Don't forget the everyday grime that can make your screen dirty and hard to read.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Megrimn View Post
    So glorious is the peace brought by having a clean laptop! No crazy high temperatures and a keyboard so hot you have to turn on the air conditioner!

Of course, I am exaggerating a bit about the temps, but the gpu temp is at about 47C and the core is at 35C, where before I cleaned it they were both hovering at 50C, sometimes higher, even when the computer was just idling.
    Oh, wow. 50C is what my CPU is at now, after cleaning it. Before that it was 75... The problem turned out to be a peace of plastic sheet covering the bottom air intake from the inside. It is supposed to be removed at manufacturing. Before that I guess it sucked air through the openings beneath the keyboard.
    Just think about it. A laptop with no air intake survived for 3 years. On one hand it speaks about the durability of this toshiba laptop, but on the other hand, a blocked air intake making it though "quality control".
    make install - not war!

Oh hai!

The oddity of it is, you can't buy compressed air in the US (at least in arkansas) unless you are 18 or older. It used to just sit on the shelf where anyone could buy it. I wonder what stupid kid spilled it on his hands or lit one and threw it at a school...
    If the gas in so called `compressed air' cans is flammable, it is not air.

Never had to buy canned gas because I have a compressor.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If you turn the cans upside down, an extremely cold fluid sprays out. That and people were huffing the stuff.
    Laptop: MSI CR700, 17.3" WXGA++ 16:9 1600X900 NVIDIA MCP79MVL GeForce 8200M G 512MB shared, Dual core Intel T4200 2GHZ 800MHZ 1MB, 320GB SATA, 4GB RAM (max), 6.5lbs

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Most places around here are passing laws requiring a prescription for sinus,and cold medicines containing psuedoehidrene,because of dope-heads.What a bunch of goofballs.They call stuff dope for a reason,I guess.