Thread: cannot connect to some WIFI spots

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

cannot connect to some WIFI spots

I just bought a System76 netbook that has the Ubuntu netbook remix 9.10 and XUbuntu on it. The wireless chipset is 802.11 b/g. I have the most recent drivers installed for System76's ubuntu deb pkg. I am able to connect fine with it to my wireless network and to my neighbor's wireless network. However, it will not connect at work to the free WIFI access point there that is outside (WirelessPhiladelphia). It sees the network at 80% but it cannot connect...why??
    ><>Marty<><

Beans

Re: cannot connect to some WIFI spots

I have no idea how the free hotspots are set up. Do they have any security at all? Do you have to bring up an access page in a browser to use them? There are myriad variables affecting connection, and I'm very far from Philadelphia. Perhaps someone from there with more information will be along to help.

Google found this thread, which unfortunately provides no solution, but just indicates that other people have the same problem with other hardware/software.

This site provides instructions for connecting to Wireless Philadelphia. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by sgosnell; January 16th, 2010 at 08:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The connection is not encrypted and you don't need to access it through a web page or with a user name. Some people at my work with WinXP can get it but those with newer versions of win (Vista and 7) cannot.

Interesting instructions on their site for people with signal boosters. I don't have one, so the bottom of their web page is for me and says this:

To connect without a signal booster device, simply select "WirelessPhiladelphia" from your computer's list of available networks and start surfing - no login is required.
    Last edited by linuxhippy; January 16th, 2010 at 08:15 PM.
    ><>Marty<><

Beans

All I can suggest is using that site to contact Digital Impact Group for help. They're providing the service, and it appears that a number of people are having problems connecting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Some people at my work with WinXP can get it but those with newer versions of win (Vista and 7) cannot.
    Then it's a pretty good bet that it's not an issue with your Starling's wireless, per se.

It could be an issue with how they have their access point configured. Or it could be the range. If it's more than 120 or 130 feet away, it may be beyond the outter reach of your Starling
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

Could be the range...it's on top of a light pole outside my work building which is about 500 feet away. I can see the signal as having 80% connectivity, though. I sent an email to the Digital Impact Group that must run the network since they are the contact people and told them that a lot of people in Philly are having this problem. Maybe they can fix the problem!
    ><>Marty<><