Thread: rsync copies symlinks as hardlinks

Beans

rsync copies multiple hardlinks as multiple files

Hey I'm using rsync to backup my laptop's home directory to my server.
    It is the rotating backup system from here: http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
    There are four folders on my server: backup.0 - backup.3 each containing one backup and all four are together +/- one time the size of my laptop's home directory (32GB) thanks to the rotating backup system with symlinks.

But I recently purchased a new hard drive for my server and want to use it partly as backup for my server. So now I have my primary hdd mounted as /home on my server and the secondary as /mnt/backup and it contains a copy of my /home.
    But when I rsync /home to /mnt/backup the laptop backup files take 118GB (+/- 4*32). So instead of copying the symlinks in the backup.0 - backup.4 folder it just makes four folders with hardlinks.
    The command I used was:
    Code:
    sudo rsync -av --delete /home/ /mnt/backup/
    and then I tried:
    Code:
    sudo rsync -alv --delete /home/ /mnt/backup/
    Both no luck... who can help me?

Edit:
    sorry for this message, I was confused with the whole hardlink softlink story.
    The symlinks I was talking about are actually hardlinks so I should have used the -H flag to fix my problem (once I discovered it were the hardlinks I could easily find it in the man)
    Code:
    sudo rsync -aH --delete /home/ /mnt/backup/

(I changed the title in case anyone has this problem and did not read the solution in the man but googled it)
    Last edited by Humphreybas; January 16th, 2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: solved