Thread: HowTo: Configure DenyHosts to Send Emails to a Gmail Account

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

HowTo: Configure DenyHosts to Send Emails to a Gmail Account

I noticed that there doesn't seem to be much information about this particular topic, and as I struggled with it myself I thought I would provide a guide to help others that may have had the same problems. I have only tested this on Ubuntu Desktop 10.10.

Firstly you need to install denyhosts
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install denyhosts
    In order to for the email program to generate messages that are formatted correctly we need to modify a line in the denyhosts.conf file.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/denyhosts.conf
    Find this line it should be around line number 221
    Code:
    ADMIN_EMAIL =
    and add your email address:
    Code:
    ADMIN_EMAIL = username@gmail.com
    Save changes and close the file.

Note: You should go through this file and familiarize yourself with all the other options you can customize in the denyhosts.conf file, but that is beyond the scope of this tutorial.

Now you need to install PostFix
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install postfix
    Mark Sanborn provided an excellent guide for setting up PostFix to work with gmail, and instead of reinvinting the wheel I'll just link to his page for the next several steps. Although this says for Ubuntu server I have tested it and it works great on Ubuntu Desktop as well.

http://www.marksanborn.net/linux/send-mail-postfix-through-gmails-smtp-on-a-ubuntu-lts-server/

I will note that I needed to follow one suggestion from the comments on Mark's site posted by George SHafer before my postfix was completely working.

You need to edit /etc/postfix/main.cf by adding
    [smtp.gmail.com]:587 to relayhost and adding this line:
    Code:
    transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
    The file should look like this:
    Code:
    transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
    myhostname = <your-hostname-here>
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
    alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
    mydestination = <destination-names-here> #my entry is simply mydestination = matt.garriott
    relayhost = [smtp.gmail.com]:587
    mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
    mailbox_size_limit = 0
    recipient_delimiter = +
    inet_interfaces = all
    myorigin = /etc/mailname
    inet_protocols = all
    ## TLS Settings
    Now you should be able to send emails using sendmail to your Gmail account!

After postfix has been configured and is working, you need to edit the python script used by denyhosts to send emails.

Thanks to Lars Noodén from this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1288862 for pointing out which script had the mail commands.

First lets make a backup of the original script:
    Code:
    cd /usr/share/denyhosts/Denyhosts
    sudo cp util.py util.py.bak
    Now we need to edit the script to tell it to use sendmail to send the email instead of the python smtplib. http://docs.python.org/library/smtplib.html

The easiest way to explain the next part is just to provide you with the modified python script. (If you are interested in what I changed just open the old script, and compare it to this new one. Most all the changes are near the bottom of the file.)

Go ahead and stop the denyhost service:
    Code:
    sudo service denyhosts stop
    Download the util.py script (attached to the post), open it up using a text editor, and insert your email address so the line that should be edited looks like this:
    Code:
    EMAIL_ADDRESS = "your-user-name@gmail.com"
    Then move the new python script and replace the old one (you should still be in the /usr/share/denyhosts/Denyhosts directory):
    Code:
    sudo mv /downloaded-directory/util.py .
    Start the denyhost service again:
    Code:
    sudo service denyhosts start
    You should be done! Go ahead and test it.
    I tested mine by sshing into my box and purposely mistyping my password several times, until it added the IP to the /etc/hosts.deny file.

You can then re-allow your IP by editing the /etc/hosts.deny file and removing your IP address. Also in order to keep your IP from being re-denied instantly you need to remove the IP address from /var/lib/denyhosts/hosts-restricted as well.

Hope this helps anyone who was struggling with this!

-Matt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: HowTo: Configure DenyHosts to Send Emails to a Gmail Account

Far too complicated! Please see my answer:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=11

Ciao
    Alessandro

Beans
    Distro

Re: HowTo: Configure DenyHosts to Send Emails to a Gmail Account

I checked your post and you were right masticazzi. I was able to receive denyhosts messages using stunnel4. I did need to comment out the cert line(6) to:
    Code:
    ;cert = /etc/ssl/certs/stunnel.pem
    in the /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf file in order to get the service to start. After that though everything is up and running, thanks for the tip!

Beans
    Distro

Re: HowTo: Configure DenyHosts to Send Emails to a Gmail Account

I should also mention that to get the stunnel method working you will need to modify /etc/default/stunnel4 and change the line:
    Code:
    ENABLED=0
    to:
    Code:
    ENABLED=1