Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the Toshiba NB300 / NB305

Beans

Ubuntu and the Toshiba NB300 / NB305

I recently got a Toshiba NB305 (the brand new model) and being of an Ubuntu persuasion, immediately put Ubuntu 9.10 on it.

What runs out of the box:

* wifi
    * sound
    * graphics
    * keyboard / mouse / usb / other small things which usually work

What does not work:

* sleep - will not wake up
    * hibernate - saves and powers off correctly but will not restore after wake up. Hangs at the "waking up, please wait..." logo screen.
    * bluetooth, though this can be enabled following this post originally intended for the NB205 (but it works with the NB305!)
    * software control or hardware keys to control brightness
    * pressing the external monitor function key causes the display to not turn back on when you hit it again

What was not tested:

* wired ethernet, though it seemed to recognize the driver, should work.
    * the webcam

-----

Wifi seems to be unstable, and will disconnect under heavy load (Transferring a 400 MB file cut out about a third of the way through.). It will not reconnect after disconnecting.

For me, the single most pressing issue will be getting sleep working, following that, control over screen brightness and so on would be nice.

By "not working" with sleep, I mean the machine seems to go to sleep correctly, and stays asleep. When woken, the power button lights up, the fan and hard drive spin up but the screen does not turn on. I haven't diagnosed it further than that.
    Last edited by exasperation; January 16th, 2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: further clarification

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and the Toshiba NB300 / NB305

Have you had any luck resolving the issues? I got this laptop today and would very much like to trade Windows 7 Starter for Ubuntu Remix, but I'd like at least the brightness controls and the sleep function to work.

Thanks for making at least this post! It's the only info on the net I could find about this awesome little netbook and Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I also have a NB305 and while I can leave without the screen adjustment, it's pretty tough to live without the suspend/hibernate function working.

I have a feeling that all these may have to do with the driver for the Intel GMA 3150.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I just got the nb305-n410BL model and had the same weak wireless signal with frequent drops...I found on this forum how to fix this issue: Open terminal and install the following backports, this will allow the AR9285 wireless to function properly using Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic-generic
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic
    Enjoy a more stable wireless connection!

Beans

Angry Re: Ubuntu and the Toshiba NB300 / NB305

When I install Unbuntu 9.10 in my Toshiba Laptop ,display show in small square.

Beans

anybody figured out a way to get around that intel card problem? i've noticed that s2disk would solve the hibernate issue, but s2ram doesn't work unfortunately..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I have a Toshiba NB300 here, bluetooth issue fixed with previous NB205 thread.

I'm still having the same wakeup problem, the netbook take about 10min to wakeup from sleep (So lazy) ! Someone can help to get it fixed ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

If they would fix the sleep problem I would be completely satisfied...Not very interested in the hibernate function, but to be able to shut the lid and not use up my batt would be awesome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

By the way issue confirmed with both Hibernate and Suspend functions.

Beans

Hi,
    I have also Toshiba nb300. The susp/hibr problem is not only with the Ubuntu. I tried also Mandriva and that problem stays

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast