Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Empathy spell checker thinks I'm British, and I'm not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: The Empathy spell checker thinks I'm British, and I'm not.

+1 on the laser. Light Amplification by Ztimulated Emission of Radiation? I don't think so! And I'm not even English!
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, running 14.04 64Bit
    Dell Latitude D830 Centrino duo 4GB RAM 320GB HDD, running 13.10 64Bit
    Raspberry Pi running Rasbian
    Ubuntu User #32384

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

American and British spellings were standardised by different dictionary compilers. And I think the country with the largest number of people who use English in everyday life is probably India, where it is one of the official languages.

Spell checkers should probably accept both US and UK versions - with the way the educashun sistims are goin in both contrys theyll be the same anyway in 50 yeers.

Try "System->Administration->Language Suport" Install & Set the language

Beans

I used to open Gconf editor and manually change the /app/empathy language value from "en" to "en-US". that would always do the trick.

but unfortunately, the "empathy" is missing. I'm not sure as to why, it just doesn't exist in 10.10 anymore. any ideas?

Beans

There's a configuration entry in dconf-editor for empathy, which you can get to by installing dconf-tools, launching dconf-editor, and then browsing to apps → empathy → conversation. There's an entry called "spell-checker-languages" with a value of "en." Changing this to "en-us" would do the trick, I'm sure, except for one problem: that field cannot be changed.

So yeah, I'm stuck. Guess I'll just be using Pidgin. It's especially bothersome when Empathy marks words like "mom" as misspelled and offers no option to add it to the dictionary or ignore the spelling "error"…

Beans

Payback for the microsloth spell checker that tries to force everyone to use americun spelling whether you come from that cuntry or not.

We used to lose marks at uni if we used American spelling, so the answer is to learn to spell and turn the spell checker off. Works a treat.

Beans
    Hidden!

Click on "Applications" in the Dock.
    Type Language in the text field at the top
    Click on Language Support (blue UN flag)
    If you are asked about installing more software do it.
    Fiddle with the controls until you have the language you want and click:
    Apply System Wide.
    Reboot or re-login?

Hmm. still broken. Plus now I'm having bad reactions between Unity and Empathy: the main Empathy window closes for no apparent reason and can't be reopened without restarting Empathy.
    Last edited by nutznboltz; May 17th, 2011 at 05:42 PM.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Spell Checkers always assume I am American but I am not.

Beans
    Hidden!

What a neat forum. People come here with real software issues only to be sassed at because of what country they were born in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It really makes no difference what country you are from. People want their spell checkers to work for their respective language. Is that really too much to ask?

What a neat forum. People come here with real software issues only to be sassed at because of what country they were born in.
    Agreed.

Also, the United States has no official language. People are FREE to speak, read and write whatever language floats their boat.

Payback for the microsloth spell checker that tries to force everyone to use americun spelling whether you come from that cuntry or not.

We used to lose marks at uni if we used American spelling, so the answer is to learn to spell and turn the spell checker off. Works a treat.
    Learn to spell! LOL

Bottom Line. We are all here to help and learn from one another. This cannot be accomplished if we engage in needless banter about linguistics, origins, etc...

Oh! And like C3PO, I am (thanks to Google Translate) well versed in over 200 forms of communication!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast