Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

Beans

Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

Hi! Thanks for the info ...

>> I had already burn a current image of 10.04 on a dvd, this morning, no need to wait for cd sized. But thanks anyway.

>> It's really risky installing an alpha on a laptop i'll use professionally ... TRUE
    The temptation is becasue of this information:
    Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit install problems on Dell Studio 1558

>> I'll try both of them and see ...
    The thing is 9.10 (estability but some hw incompatibilities) against 10.04 (non-stable but better hw compatibility) ???
    It depends on the "size" of this (in)estability and the (in)compatibility

Luckily, ranch hand, i finally have the desktop (it comes from that post) running quite nicely with the 9.10. Thanks!
    So, it's time to change the patient, now the laptop.

I'll keep you updated.

Salut,
    jordi

Beans

Wink Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post

Using zsync instead of getting a fresh image greatly reduces the amount of bandwidth both you & Canonical pay to use.
    Well, I would hope we all are doing that. I am.

Tim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Well, I would hope we all are doing that. I am.

Tim
    Is it enough a 2GB usb to work with zsync?
    It could be the fist time i use an alpha release...

Salut,
    jordi

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

Quote Originally Posted by putxi View Post
    Is it enough a 2GB usb to work with zsync?
    It could be the fist time i use an alpha release...

Salut,
    jordi
    I work with the iso's and zsync on my hard drive, then copy the end-result iso to the bootable media.

Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

tell me is there any information as to when can we expect gflrx driver for ati screen card?

my os crashed again because of something related to wmv real media codecs i think
    it called pulse something any way installing the os is no problem but frankly without
    ati driver i can't do much with this os compiz doesn't fully work and i can't see movies
    in my lcd tv i can create dual view but the tv screen is pink like solorize or something
    like this but with pink color maybe because it's pal tv not ntsc.

any way without solving this problem i would still need windows 7 so i can't use ubuntu 24/7
    and as such i see no reason to reinstall it again once i have this driver i don't care if it's not
    final i would be able to use it non stop.

thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    I've found a good way to keep an up-to-date install disk is as follows:-

1: Download Latest daily image from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
    2: Install "zsync" using your package manager of choice
    3: Run "zsync http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/lucid-desktop-amd64.iso.zsync"
    4: Run USB creator against resulting image, using a USB stick of >1GB.
    5: 24 Hrs later, go to 3.

Using zsync instead of getting a fresh image greatly reduces the amount of bandwidth both you & Canonical pay to use.
    This is exactly how I have been doing it for quite some time. Except step#5. I wait a few days or a week. Actually I found doing it on Sunday is best because there is fewer updates.

Also I have a Zsync folder on an NTFS partition that I have been using. On a whim I decided to use a linux ext4 partition instead, just as a test. Unbelievable it was much faster. I was thinking the ntfs-3g process is not needed on linux reads/writes. It might, and probably is, a fluke. I'll know more come next Sunday.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I have been formatting my DVD+RW disk each time before copying the new daily iso image to it. Is this necessary, or can I just overwrite it?

Thanks,
    Tim
    It your burning an ISO using Brasero, it automatically erases the disk. In fact it won't write otherwise.

If your talking about a total format, I rarely do that. Only when I have errors will try that. It takes around 17 minutes for a complete format. Usually that fixes my errors, and I only have errors on large files, like DVD movies.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456