Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 57

Thread: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bullet Hell
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibidem View Post
    That's USB automount. You would need to manually mount flash drives OR install "usbmount" (universe).
    Hard drive automount is kernel/init stuff, with fstab to control it. But that has gotten maybe a little bit better in Lucid.

    Ibidem
    That sucks, I need my USB to automount for me.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Beans
    331

    Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

    As stated: install usbmount.
    It's a tiny download, with no dependencies to speak of.
    It works even if your GUI doesn't.

    sudo apt-get install usbmount

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    1,171
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibidem View Post
    As stated: install usbmount.
    It's a tiny download, with no dependencies to speak of.
    It works even if your GUI doesn't.

    sudo apt-get install usbmount
    "Dumb" users won't know to do that. They'll just think they're usb won't show up and hate ubuntu. Yet another program I'll have to remember to install after installing.

    It's something that should be installed by default. Especially if small program, there is currently lots of space on cd. Someone file a bug?
    Last edited by andrewabc; January 18th, 2010 at 03:06 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
    I was told that the removal of HAL means that there is no more automount.

    Please tell me that this is not so.
    Mine is still installed:
    Code:
    $ aptitude show hal
    Package: hal
    State: installed
    Automatically installed: no
    Version: 0.5.14-0ubuntu2
    When does the removal take place. Running A2 and updated.
    Last edited by VMC; January 18th, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bullet Hell
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewabc View Post
    Someone file a bug?
    All the launchpad people will do is tell you to go on the mailing list.

    I hate mailing lists. And the brainstorm people will just make sure that your idea is not an idea regardless if it isn't a bug or not.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Beans
    6,040

    Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Mine is still installed:
    Code:
    $ aptitude show hal
    Package: hal
    State: installed
    Automatically installed: no
    Version: 0.5.14-0ubuntu2
    When does the removal take place. Running A2 and updated.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=16
    Previously known as 23meg

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Beans
    6,040

    Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by Psumi
    All the launchpad people will do is tell you to go on the mailing list.
    That's what (correctly) happens only in cases where the issue at hand is fit for discussing on a mailing list, rather than a bug tracker.
    Previously known as 23meg

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

    I've already read that link and it doesn't answer my question as to when Ubuntu will remove hal. This imply's that I have to do this on my own. Will future releases keep hal or not?
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Beans
    6,040

    Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I've already read that link and it doesn't answer my question as to when Ubuntu will remove hal. This imply's that I have to do this on my own. Will future releases keep hal or not?
    HAL will not be part of the default installation in future releases, and AFAIK is only pulled in as a "Recommends" of PiTiVi in Lucid for now. It may also have been pulled in as the dependency for a non-default application you installed.
    Previously known as 23meg

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    HAL will not be part of the default installation in future releases, and AFAIK is only pulled in as a "Recommends" of PiTiVi in Lucid for now. It may also have been pulled in as the dependency for a non-default application you installed.
    Thanks for the answer. I didn't install anything except a fresh install of ubuntu alpha 2. I wonder why aptitude shows it installed?

    At any rate I backed my partition and will try the removal as see what happens.
    Thanks.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •