Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sound in both speakers and headphones on HP Pavilion.

Beans

Re: Sound in both speakers and headphones on HP Pavilion.

Oh my headphones work with the model set to dv5 as I stated. The mic, unfortunately, doesn't work. By that I mean the mic input is greyed out in gnome-volume-control. I'm speaking about the internal mic on the laptop with the webcam. It used to work, until I updated the sound driver. I've only tried wired headsets that are headphones only. I don't have a wired headset with a mic - I do have a Bluetooth headset with a mic. That's not work but that's probably a Bluetooth problem.

Question: Does your pavucontrol: Configuration (tab): Profile have any 5.1 stuff? I would think that this sound card does 5.1 - maybe not on the laptop speakers but at least out the HDMI? Also does your HDMI connection produce sound? I wish to hook up this entertainment PC to my entertainment center via HDMI. Usually sound is forwarded down the HDMI connection and will then go out my home theater system. On this PC it doesn't. Finally, if you have nay Bluetooth headset - does your Bluetooth work? I'd rather use my comfortable and small Bluetooth headset on the bus than to have to lug around a large set of wired headphones.
    Last edited by defaria; February 10th, 2010 at 08:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Internal (analog) soundcard doesn't have 5.1 sound.
    I have not tested the HDMI connector in anyway yet.
    Bluetooth i have tested and it worked great without any problems (headphones and mic both)
    Bluetooth headset i tested was Nokia BH-905 with active noise reduction system.

I have bought a SteelSeries Siperia V2 headset and it have usb virtual 7.1 soundcard included but have not yet get it work with 7.1 sound (only 5.1 worked out of the box)
    and that is my backup number 1 for sound in this laptop.
    Second backup is Terratec Aureon Dual USB and it has optical and analog output and mic input and
    it's same size as usb memory stick.
    Last edited by KeLa; February 10th, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
    ---
    Be paranoid. God is always building a better idiot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by defaria View Post
    But putting up with snot nosed kids who can't even string match is asking too much from me!
    My original post was for the owner of the thread, not you. Don't think so highly of yourself because nobody really cares. The only snot nosed kid appears to be you since you hijacked this thread instead of helping the OP.
    For those new to Ubuntu most of your answers can be found at help.ubuntu.com or ubuntuguide.org

Beans

That's why I said in my initial response to you, that I know you are trying to be helpful but it doesn't help me - let me repeat that since you obviously missed it the first time - it doesn't help ME, that's right I SAID ME!!! at all. It is implied that perhaps you might have helped others but you didn't help me.

Let me quote it for you as further evidence here with emphasis:

warp99, I'm sure you're trying to be helpful but I'm not sure you are being helpful. My laptop (an HP dv7-3000) is not listed in your list and your links point off to tons-o-information about all kinds of sound things and really nothing specific about my problem. I'm not trying to become a Linux Sound Engineer here - I'm just trying to get my hardware to work in a reasonable fashion. Is that asking for too much?

I realize that there are bugs in the drivers or that the sound card is new and not fully working, etc. However I'm not here to hear problems or excuses - I'm here to get solutions. Got any of those?
    Clearly I was talking about my problems which had been being discussed.

IOW idiot, that's exactly what I first said, politely, before you started getting all rude. Now if you had half brain and any humility you'd admit that it was you who screwed up there son. So wipe your nose and suck it up! Methinks you won't admit it because you'd rather argue and be full of yourself!

Beans

Back to sound issues...

With the latest driver and model=hp-dv5

. Plugging in the headphones does nothing - no sound and it doesn't cut off the internal laptop speakers. Funny this used to work.

. Mic input (for the internal mic?) is simply greyed out and doesn't record anything. Initially this used to work before I updated the sound driver.

. Bluetooth is now working but oddly. Getting it to connect is extremely hit and miss. Most times I have to go into pavucontrol and over to configuration because it connects but is configured off. Other times it says it's connected in the Bluetooth devices but no sound comes out. When it's really misbehaving I have to remove and re-add the device.

. HDMI output does not work - no sound goes out the HDMI cable. (Additional problem: When plugging in the HDMI cable, the output doesn't immediately appear on the screen. I have it hit Fn and like F4 to get it to "project". Further, the laptop "screen" is larger than my 42" HDTV! By that I mean if I move the mouse to the right edge of the screen the viewport on the HDTV shifts).

Beans

I would like to report that I was having the issue of sound coming from both speakers and headphones in ah HP Pavilion dv6-1375dx.

Following the procedure described by willix solved the problem.

Thanks willix for the simple, easy to follow instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by willix View Post
    Ok I'm done, I finally have my sound working on my HP pavilion dv7 2150ez with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala; Both speakers are working and they switch off when I plug my headphones.

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

So for the record here is what I did:

I updated my BIOS; that did not do the trick

I updated my alsa to version 1.0.21; that did not do the trick

I edited my alsa-base.conf and added the enable_msi=1 option: that did not do the trick

So I finally installed the alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz as described here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...20dvx%20laptop

and edited the alsa-base.conf file and added
    options snd_hda_intel model=hp-dv5

(and not options=hp_dv5 as I read in a few threads)

and that did it.

The bottom line is; when everything else fails, read the doc!

It was right there under my eyes but read the section about dv7 ignoring the one about dvxx. When I tried the section about dvxx (dv7 is, afterall, a dvxx), everything fitted.

Next step: getting HDMI working...

Beans

I'm unhappy to report that my headphones no longer work. I did not change my configuration. It used to work. Now I get no sound in the headphones and plugging them in does not silence the laptop's speakers.

Beans

Smile Re: Sound in both speakers and headphones on HP Pavilion.

Warp & Willix, thanks for your posts, it definitely fixed my audio problem. Now my laptop speakers mute when I plug in my headphones on my HP Tx2110us.

I was having a heck of a time finding a thread this morning. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto was also helpful (basically the same thing)

For the hp tx2110us the model to put in alsa-base.config is simply "hp"
    I tried the model=3stack and 3stack-dig but those didn't work.

I just checked sound recorder and my mic input also works.

Beans

Figured it out! If you recall (and was reading this thread) Willix and I had downloaded and installed a newer version of alsa. At that point things worked for me. But then a kernel update or two happened (Actually from 2.6.31-17 -> 2.6.31-19) and that's what broke it! Luckilyh I saved the source under /usr/src (alsa-driver-1.0.22.1, alsa-lib-1.0.22 and alsa-utils-1.0.22). So I went under those directories and performed configure, make and make install for all 3 and rebooted. Of course I need to have model=hp-dv5 in /etc/modprobe/alsa-base.conf (I had been playing with that lately) and all is well again. Well not all, HDMI sound still doesn't work and Bluetooth is funky still (When I connect my Bluetooth it's set to Off and I need to toggle it on every time) but the speakers work well and headphones work as expected.

Beans

I am SO glad I came across this thread, and holy CRAP was I surprised when this worked!
    I am using an HP Pavillion dv7-3060US laptop, running 9.10 64-Bit.

My headphone jack works perfectly now (I actually have 2 jacks, both work perfect) AND my mic still works!!

Oh man I am so happy right now, this just makes my Ubuntu install ALMOST perfect

Ok, enough about how happy I am....for those of you who read this, and are using an HP Pavillion DV7 laptop, I followed this link and it worked for me. I added both lines to my alsa-base.conf file, that is, the 'options snd_hda_intel model=hp-dv5' line, AND 'options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1' line. I should also mention that I followed the steps listed here from the official Ubuntu wiki to update to the latest version of the pulse-audio driver.

Again, my speakers are working, my mic is working, and the sound behaves appropriately when headphones are plugged into either one of my jacks.

The only minor issue is that the sound is much lower than it is when I'm in windows, but its not a big enough issue to make me want to sign onto windows just to listen to music.

Thanks again for whoever posted that 1st link, helped me tremendously!

*EDIT* I updated my driver FIRST, then followed the steps SECOND. This is on a FRESH 9.10 install, and it works flawlessly. Also, at least preliminary results show that this has fixed the rather annoying shut down BEEP noise that I had been experiencing.
    Last edited by opethfan89; March 25th, 2010 at 05:20 AM.
    Laptop HP Pavillion dv7-3060US running Linux Mint 14 x64 (Cinnamon Desktop)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast