Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: If Microsoft included a default tool to remove user installed programs?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: If Microsoft included a default tool to remove user installed programs?

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I guess someone would have to define junk first. From the Help-->about screen:

I don't see anywhere in there where it says it cleans up junk files.

See screenshot:
    Com-pu-ter
    Computer

Jan-i-tor
    Person that cleans up messes before, during, or after a facility has been used. This involves cleaning up messes, collections, and hazards in the facility.

Beans
    Hidden!

I give up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think some of you fail to see the point of the OP, I mentioned it in my post #23

Quote Originally Posted by Techsnap View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEP0UQAGzSM Watch the video I posted, if nothing is making sense so far perhaps this will.
    And there you have it...
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans
    Hidden!

If you bothered to read through the rest of the thread you'd see that I looked at the source code and then found out why it was doing this and it just further backed up what a ridiculous decision it was to include by default. Although you're labeling this as rant which it is because it shouldn't be included by default you've been given more than enough proof to why.

Check out some of the other rants on Youtube, where nobody posts facts they just make stuff up from not knowing what they're doing. As you can see from this thread we've found the reason why and it seems that the devs obviously know why too (as we can see in the source code) which makes it even more odd that it is included by default when it is quite obviously flawed by design.

I don't know what determines which software gets put in the default Ubuntu install set but it seems to me that other decent stuff has been suggested but declined [check the brainstorm site], however a flawed and broken app has been included by default now and it just so happens that Canonical have made it.

Now it's obvious they can do this because it's their OS. But since so many people have decided to bring up other Windows arguments all the time, what makes Canonical think they can do the same thing as Windows allegedly does?

Whether you like it or not, this application is incomplete, does something which the devs have commented that it shouldn't do but does because there's no other way of doing it. Which should then have meant that the application goes in the repos but not the default install set.

It is a problem as others have said, because it says it removed old and unsupported versions of software quite clearly. A lot of new users are going to believe this because it's installed by default, has Canonicals name slapped on the about box so it seems like it's a friendly application giving people a helping hand. However what they won't know is "unsupported" doesn't mean an old version of the software in that sense, it means Canonical unsupported which will then remove any of their "unsupported" software. Sure you can say it's the users fault but it's a computer janitor claiming to remove cruft and unsupported packages, it's VERY misleading to new users and this is the whole rant. If after 18 pages, a youtube video and an article with pictures at Linsux explaining the problem in depth and you still haven't realised well please tell me you're not a sysadmin.

No matter what people think, Computer Janitor is flawed and broken by design because it has to be, there's no other way of doing it and it definitely should not have been included in the default install. It got given a GUI change between 9.04 and 9.10 but it's still fundamentally broken.
    Last edited by Techsnap; January 16th, 2010 at 11:45 AM.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718