Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it so hard to find a 64bit download??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Why is it so hard to find a 64bit download??

Quote Originally Posted by arubislander View Post
    As wojox said:

It's just a matter of reading carefully...
    +1

"Alternative download options, including Ubuntu installer for Windows" its right under the download location and in Bold not to mention a little red arrow next to it. The OP really must of not been paying enough attention to what is on the page to miss it. You need only to click on it to reveal additional options.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    As I said, I rounded. Big deal, the difference in 25 years obsolete and 30 years obsolete ain't that big. Even then, Ubuntu is not officially supported to run on i386 hardware anyway....which raises the question of why they optimize for it....especially in light of the fact that most people have cellphones with more computing power than an i386 machine

The question why more folks choose to run 32bit Ubuntu on 64bit capable systems is a strange one...especially given the performance hits:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_32_pae&num=1
    I agree on the 64bit thing...but please, I love to see any documentation where ubuntu is optomised for 32bit. Anything

Like I said before, i386 is just the base. BTW, its i386 because its based of debian, and the debian base 32bit is i386. More work than its worth to change the base to i486.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The question why more folks choose to run 32bit Ubuntu on 64bit capable systems is a strange one...
    1) Compatibility issues. Apparently, not all 64-bit software in Linux (or Windows, for that matter) works as bug-free as its 32-bit counterparts. Personally, I haven't had any such problems besides not being able to install zsnes through not-totally-convoluted means, but that sounds like a fringe case.
    2) 64-bit OSes take up more memory while running, for what is most of the time not a noticeable speed increase (not all programs take advantage of 64-bit).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Dubya View Post
    1) Compatibility issues. Apparently, not all 64-bit software in Linux (or Windows, for that matter) works as bug-free as its 32-bit counterparts. Personally, I haven't had any such problems besides not being able to install zsnes through not-totally-convoluted means, but that sounds like a fringe case.
    2) 64-bit OSes take up more memory while running, for what is most of the time not a noticeable speed increase (not all programs take advantage of 64-bit).
    +1

I would only use 64-bit personally if I had more then 3GB of ram. To me that's the only reason worth using 64-bit sense 32 doesn't support more then 3GB of ram.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

NoaHall is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    +1

I would only use 64-bit personally if I had more then 3GB of ram. To me that's the only reason worth using 64-bit sense 32 doesn't support more then 3GB of ram.
    Well, that's not the only reason. I would use 64 bit no matter what, and I do.

And oh dear. This going to turn into another thread of people living in the past vs people living in the future.

Beans

I use it on a machine with 2GB of RAM-

http://tuxradar.com/content/ubuntu-9...bit-benchmarks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just upgraded to AMD64 Karmic from x86 Jaunty, and damn its quick, on a Pentium IV with 1.4 Gb RAM Didn't have much trouble finding it though
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would only use 64-bit personally if I had more then 3GB of ram.
    64-bit Ubuntu runs great with 2GB RAM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    The i386 spec dates back to 1985 grasshopper. Sue me for rounding 25 to 30

For perspective, the amd64 spec dates only to 2003-with AMD Opteron being the 1st.
    What's the big deal anyway? Let's say 32bit version is optimized 50 years back, and 64 bit just 1 month back. The end result is still an insignificant performance boost on CPU intensive tasks. OK, 64 bit is newer, but why would I care?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    What's the big deal anyway? Let's say 32bit version is optimized 50 years back, and 64 bit just 1 month back. The end result is still an insignificant performance boost on CPU intensive tasks. OK, 64 bit is newer, but why would I care?
    A 2X increase in performance on some tasks is insignificant?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_32_pae&num=1

O rly?
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast