Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it so hard to find a 64bit download??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Why is it so hard to find a 64bit download??

I'm having hard drive issues, so as a last resort, I thought it would be best to have an Ubuntu CD, just in case I need to go the re-install route. Great, onto Ubuntu.com to get an image...

Why on earth, when 64bit is supposed to be the way forward, did I have to resort to Google to find a 64bit iso image? I eventually ended up at http://releases.ubuntu.com/karmic/ - surely this is just hindering the take-up, and in turn, development of the AMD64 platform???

... or should I take this as a none-too-subtle hint that I should go back to 32bit?

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Why is it so hard to find a 64bit download??

No, I'd stay with 64 bit. You can find it on http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download by clicking on Alternative download options, including Ubuntu installer for Windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is making an elephant out of a fly. Use what fits you best and don't invent hidden meanings where there aren't any.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NEUR0M4NCER View Post
    Why on earth, when 64bit is supposed to be the way forward, did I have to resort to Google to find a 64bit iso image?
    As wojox said:
    Quote Originally Posted by wojox
    You can find it on http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download by clicking on Alternative download options, including Ubuntu installer for Windows
    It's just a matter of reading carefully...
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arubislander View Post
    As wojox said:

It's just a matter of reading carefully...
    Meh, it is still a good question. Odds are that more people than not, own 64bit machines....that they choose to run software optimized for CPUs made in 1985.

Of course why Ubuntu even optimizes their 32bit pcakages for 30 year old CPUs, that Ubuntu is not officially supported to even run on, is another good question.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    Meh, it is still a good question. Odds are that more people than not, own 64bit machines....that they choose to run software optimized for CPUs made in 1985.

Of course why Ubuntu even optimizes their 32bit pcakages for 30 year old CPUs, that Ubuntu is not officially supported to even run on, is another good question.
    I don't think Ubuntu does that. Can you name a 30 years old CPU to illustrate that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I don't think Ubuntu does that. Can you name a 30 years old CPU to illustrate that.
    The i386 spec dates back to 1985 grasshopper. Sue me for rounding 25 to 30

For perspective, the amd64 spec dates only to 2003-with AMD Opteron being the 1st.
    Last edited by Skripka; January 14th, 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by NEUR0M4NCER View Post
    ... or should I take this as a none-too-subtle hint that I should go back to 32bit?
    Of course not, the link to the alternatives is quite visible and plain. You don't want the 32 bit ? then here's some more links.... click on me.

I can only conclude that the change which I think was only made when 9.10 came out, was to prevent users obtaining the 64 bit by mistake and not being able to install it on 32 bit machines, or ending up with 64 bit without realising the implications (which are few, imho) ..

I think the link is quite obvious, however judging by the number of threads that come up on this topic, many find it difficult to navigate, including some self proclaimed computer pros.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post

Slightly wrong. Like you said, i386 came out in 1985....that is 25 years. i286 came out in 1982, so 'optomisied for a 30 year old CPU' would be 8086. I dont think that its optomised for i386 anyway....

i386 is just the minimum. If you have a newer CPU it does use the instruction sets for that CPU (within 32bit, it wont automatically use x86_64).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Slightly wrong. Like you said, i386 came out in 1985....that is 25 years. i286 came out in 1982, so 'optomisied for a 30 year old CPU' would be 8086. I dont think that its optomised for i386 anyway....

i386 is just the minimum. If you have a newer CPU it does use the instruction sets for that CPU (within 32bit, it wont automatically use x86_64).
    As I said, I rounded. Big deal, the difference in 25 years obsolete and 30 years obsolete ain't that big. Even then, Ubuntu is not officially supported to run on i386 hardware anyway....which raises the question of why they optimize for it....especially in light of the fact that most people have cellphones with more computing power than an i386 machine

The question why more folks choose to run 32bit Ubuntu on 64bit capable systems is a strange one...especially given the performance hits:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_32_pae&num=1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast