Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is swap nescessary?

Beans

Is swap nescessary?

I have a netbook. I had 2gb i was going to dedicate to swap but for some reason it says unusable. does anyone know if it will have a performance hit to go without swap?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Re: Is swap nescessary?

It will have a performance hit if you use heavy duty apps

Beans

so if i just use rhytmbox and firefox i should be alright? also is it possible to add swap post install?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    I have a netbook. I had 2gb i was going to dedicate to swap but for some reason it says unusable. does anyone know if it will have a performance hit to go without swap?
    yeah, you will get a bit of a loss if you dont have it, and you will lose your ability to suspend/hibernate.

Just out of curiosity, what were you going to use for swap? the way you have it worded, it makes me wonder if you were going to put it on a flash drive or something.

You only need as much swap as you have ram (some say 1.5X ram, still more say 2x) but generally its just used as a 'safe spot' for files you have open but arent using, a place to write your current status if you want to hibernate, and a dedicated 'overflow' for your ram.
    Java Guide Media support Flash x64 Grub2 Get Dropbox! My Look! RSync Twitter

"Windows 7 was my idea"- I guess Microsoft enjoys copyright infringement?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The swap file is also used when you hibernate your computer.
    Notebook ASUS A6JCMAS.219, Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz,2GiB System Memory, Video G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300], HD 100GB HTS541010G9AT00, Network Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] (rev 02)

Beans

The SWAP partition is used as if it was RAM ... if you open a lot of things and you need more ram that you have, ubuntu will start writing in the SWAP partition. But the most important thing about SWAP on laptops/netbooks is that if you don't have swap or it is not two times your RAM or bigger you won't be able to SUSPEND the laptop/netbook. In SUSPEND mode your laptop does not require any power because everything from your RAM is written to the hard drives SWAP partition and when you power up the computer everything will return to the state when you SUSPENDED your computer.

P.S
    ...... 4 comments for the time I wrote this NICE

Beans

gparted won't let me create any more partitions so how can i add swap?

Beans

You can remove an existing partition and create a logical partition on which you can add more than one.

Beans

there isn't a partition i can delelte. right now i have a 100mb system partition for windows, a 80gb partition for the rest of windows, a root partition of 15gb for ubuntu, and a 50gb home partition for ubuntu. why won't it let me use my dedicated swap space?

Beans

Although I have never tried it, I believe there is a way to create a swap file post install as well.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-a...ap-file-howto/

BTW, I have installed 9.04 on two Aspire One Netbooks both without swap. I disabled the Hibernate options since this does not work well (or at all) without swap. Those with the Netbooks haven't had any memory related issues at all.
    Last edited by HarrisonFan; January 13th, 2010 at 11:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast