Thread: I'm getting asked for (non-existing) root password for administrative tasks!

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm getting asked for (non-existing) root password for administrative tasks!

Ubuntu 9.10 has started asking me for the root password for doing administrative tasks. How did that happen? I haven't even set a root password! I am logged in as a regular /home/ user with sudo rights, but now I can't even authenticate to look at my user rights settings! I recently changed my user privileges to include wireless & network connections, but that's the extent of what I have done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by auh2o; January 13th, 2010 at 10:33 PM.

Beans

Re: I'm getting asked for (non-existing) root password for administrative tasks!

Have you tried the password you use at log-in?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: I'm getting asked for (non-existing) root password for administrative tasks!

Is your user in the admin group?

Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)
    and post the output of:
    Code:
    id
    and
    Code:
    grep $USER /etc/group
    DON'T try to log out!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

My user password is not accepted.

However, contrary to the advice above, I already restarted and logged into my user account again, and that worked. I am however still asked to supply a root password when trying anything.

As per your request:

Code:
    uid=1000(michael) gid=1000(michael) groups=4(adm),20(dialout),21(fax),24(cdrom),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),104(lpadmin),112(netdev),1000(michael)
    Code:
    adm:x:4:michael
    dialout:x:20:michael
    fax:x:21:michael
    cdrom:x:24:michael
    audio:x:29:pulse,michael
    dip:x:30:michael
    video:x:44:michael
    plugdev:x:46:michael
    lpadmin:x:104:michael
    netdev:x:112:michael
    michael:x:1000:michael
    (Yes, my name is Michael.)

Beans
    Hidden!

You removed your user from the admin group. Boot in Recovery Mode and add it back to the group:
    http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/fixsudo

Beans
    Hidden!

Alright. Figures I ****** up something! Thank you kindly.

I second the opinion at your link!

If you think it's silly that the last admin user can be so easily removed graphically from the admin group, vote for Idea #11107: Users and Groups should always make sure at least one user is in the admin group on Ubuntu Brainstorm.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by auh2o View Post
    Alright. Figures I ****** up something! Thank you kindly.

I second the opinion at your link!
    You are welcome!

Please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by selecting Mark this thread as solved from the Thread tools.

Beans
    Hidden!

...and I am back in action!

I feel really silly. I must've accidentally unticked that box while ticking the other. Coming from a Windows environment (and not missing it!), I think I might've appreciated an extra prompt there, along the lines of "are you sure you want to remove..." etc.
    Last edited by auh2o; January 13th, 2010 at 10:37 PM.