Thread: Firefox menus & drop downs not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Firefox menus & drop downs not working

The Update Manager told me to update my Firefox. Now the menus do not appear when I click on "File", "Edit" etc. They do not appear with the short-cut keys (Alt-F etc). Nor do the list boxes unroll for the address bar or to select different search engines. Help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Firefox menus & drop downs not working

Ooh, how strange. I typed "ctrl-N" and got a new FF window. This window works OK. The old window is still reluctant, so I killed it.

Beans

Cool Re: Firefox menus & drop downs not working

Hi

I have the same problem. Thank you for the ctrl-N suggenstion as a work-around. However the problem is of course still there: the first Firefox window is not showing any drop down menus/boxes or RMB/context menus...

There are a heap of other threads regarding problems after the last update: firefox being unresponsive (have that occasionally), firefox having problems shutting down (have that too, but no Ghostery add-on as seems to be the community's consensus about the origin) and also interestingly enough mouse problems (have that too, however in my case the scroll up works only every now and then).

Something tells me that the latest update brought along a heap of problems.

Well - let's hope they can solve these soon.

Cheers!
    / Daniel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My problems appear to have gone away after that initial ctrl-N then killing the mis-behaving window. Lost all the tabs that were there, but then they are easily reproduced.

No Ghostery and no other obvious problems.

Good luck with yours!

Beans

It's 2013 and I have this problem! Using FF 18.0.2. It wasn't a problem when using FF 18, but then I updated my Catalyst drivers as well, so it's hard to tell what's to blame. In any case, this shouldn't be happening.

Does anyone have global menubar enabled and the corresponding add-on for FF? I haven't extensively tested, but disabling the add-on seems to have solved my issue. I'll have to test longer, but I've sort of grown fond of Chrome in the meantime. (It uses the KDE filepicker and knows how to handle file associations!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.