Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lexmark x4650 drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Lexmark x4650 drivers HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by cca02143 View Post
    Cheers cheers to ahillsbe and wordini! Got my x4650 working via wifi and usb now. I no longer need to use my wife's computer to print stuff -- love it.
    You can't do duplex either, can you?

It's really frustrating for me :S

Beans

Godspell, I don't think the x4650 has duplex capabilities... Could be why it's not working. ??

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wordini View Post
    Godspell, I don't think the x4650 has duplex capabilities... Could be why it's not working. ??
    You're right. It's got no duplex and other printer options.

Frankly speaking, the drivers are not at all suitable for those who wish to do everyday eco printing i.e. draft quality, duplex, grayscale, etc.

I don't think Lexmark make comprehensive drivers for Ubuntu like they do for Windows which is a big shame.

Meh...what can you do, eh?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ahillsbe View Post
    Here is a link for the lexmark driver. I have succesfuly printed over the network via wifi on opensuse. Not a paperweight!

EDIT:

I just got this working in Ubuntu 9.10 x86.

use "AppSocket/HP JetDirect" under network printer in the "new printer" menu. Host is printer IP address leave port number at 9100. It will ask for printer manufacturer and model for driver. If you successfully installed the lexmark drivers from the download you should be able to find the 3600-4600 printer driver.

Hope this helps.
    i'm trying to get my x4650 to print wirelessly. i have the driver successfully installed and everything, it just won't print wirelessly. i've tried what you recommended to the other person but i can't seem to figure out what to do. i'm a noob as well.

Beans
    Distro

I'm probably not being helpful but I tried what that gentleman suggested and it never worked for me.

Truth be told, these drivers aren't as comprehensive as the ones that are available on Windows (a lot of people wouldn't like to hear this). They don't do duplex, colour control, customised printer profile and so on.

I started this thread with intention to make my printer works on Ubuntu and it did, BIG thanks to people who contributed the solution but at the end, I end up going back on Windows for printing.
    The services these drivers provide are simply not good enough for everday printing.

I don't believe Lexmark support Linux that much :S

Anyway, sorry to cut in like this.
    I'm sure somebody will get back to you on your question

Cheers and regards,
    GS

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards2000 View Post
    Finally!

I've been trying to get my Lexmark X4650 printer working with Ubuntu since I switched to Linux early last year.

I just followed the instructions outlined in this thread and it now works both connected and wireless. I did, however, need to make a small adjustment on how I installed the driver that gets downloaded. After extracting the driver I had to run the executable out of the terminal using sudo otherwise just double clicking it to run it and entering the pwd failed every time.

Nice job fellas. Not just a paperweight anymore.

Thanks a ton
    So sorry to ask but what command did you type into the terminal to get it to install? I cannot get it to install without telling me my password is invalid.
    Last edited by sateal8; March 31st, 2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: needed to add more information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just ran the executable from the command line.

sudo lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh

and that did the trick for me as far as getting the driver installed

Beans

Thanks for all the good information. One question, what does it mean to double click the file, "in Karmic?"

Beans

I tried saving it to the desktop and double clicking it but received this error message:

gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
    Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
    Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.

I also opened the terminal and entered the command listed above but was told "command not found"

Any suggestions?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eugezilla View Post
    I tried saving it to the desktop and double clicking it but received this error message:

gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
    Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
    Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.

I also opened the terminal and entered the command listed above but was told "command not found"

Any suggestions?
    Have you gone into the file properties and set the executable bit?

and person above asking about in Karmic. That is the alias for that particular version of Ubuntu.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast