Thread: emualtion video games

Beans

emualtion video games

I'd like to know about emulating old style video game systems like c-64 and such on Ubuntu. I use to do it on my Mac and download roms and such from a website called emulation.net but see it doesn't look like it's the same website anymore. I still have a couple old gamepad pro usb controllers too. I'd love to emulate the old c64 or other older video game systems and download some old roms.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: emualtion video games

hi there,
    here's a site for c64 emulation software for use on *nix.
    http://www.zophar.net/linux/c64.html

If you're looking for old system emulators for linux, you can also get emulators for things like NES, nintendo 64 etc.

AJ
    Want to find out more about your ubuntu system? see HowTO Ubuntu System
    Want to know a little more about networking? see HOWTO Ubuntu Networking
    Looking for help with something on your ubuntu? see the tutorial of the week sticky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: emualtion video games

In the Ubuntu Software Center, under the Games category, there are a few programs that you may be interested in. For the quick-and-dirty, just go into the Ubuntu Software Center and click on "Games", then search for "Emulator" to get the full listing.

Of particular note are:
    FCE Ultra - NES emulator
    GFCE Ultra Emulator - The front-end for FCE Ultra targeted to GNOME
    ZSNES Emulator - Super Nintendo emulator
    Mupen64Plus - N64 Emulator
    Yabause - Sega Saturn Emulator

and my personal favorite...
    DOSBox - A light-weight x86 emulator capable of running old school DOS programs and games. Theoretically, you should be able to install Windows 3.x on this thing, though I've never tried.

(Edit - 13 Jan 2010 0712 GMT)
    If you're specifically looking for C-64 or C-128 (or even VIC-20) emulators, there's an excellent emulator that will emulate all three of these machines called VICE (VIC Emulator, as the C-64 and C-128 machines were built on top of the VIC-20 designs). You can find it at viceteam.org. NOTE the "Linux" topic under the "Related Sources" section that follows the "Downloads" section. You will need the CBM4Linux kernel driver (including the OpenCBM library), FFMPEG codec, and the Gnome2/Gtk2 patch in order to get it running. Optionally, if you're looking for quick-and-easy, you can download the MS-DOS version and run it on top of DOSBox. It's not exactly an elegant solution, but given the clock speed of the 6510 microprocessor is a whopping 1 Mhz, I'd say it would serve its purpose.
    Last edited by cyqotiq; January 13th, 2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Additional information