Thread: problems with vlc and movie player

Beans

problems with vlc and movie player

i try to open vlc and it says that it's opening, but then nothing happens. then when i try to play a dvd with movie player, nothing opens. can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: problems with vlc and movie player

Quote Originally Posted by porlaizquierda View Post
    i try to open vlc and it says that it's opening, but then nothing happens. then when i try to play a dvd with movie player, nothing opens. can anyone lead me in the right direction?
    run
    Code:
    vlc
    in the terminal and post the output on here.
    Sam
    Computer: System76 Pangolin Performance

Beans

right here:

VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=2ubuntu1' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-realrtsp' '--disable-dv' '--enable-x264' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
    [00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    LibVLC fatal error locking mutex in thread 3081086672 at misc/objects.c:395: 130
    Error message: Owner died at:
    /usr/lib/libvlccore.so.0(vlc_pthread_fatal+0xb5)[0xb7f53235]
    Aborted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by porlaizquierda View Post
    right here:

VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=2ubuntu1' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-realrtsp' '--disable-dv' '--enable-x264' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
    [00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    LibVLC fatal error locking mutex in thread 3081086672 at misc/objects.c:395: 130
    Error message: Owner died at:
    /usr/lib/libvlccore.so.0(vlc_pthread_fatal+0xb5)[0xb7f53235]
    Aborted
    Are you running from the account you created when you first set up the machine -- or from a subsequently created account?

What version of Ubuntu are you using?

Did you recently upgrade to that version? Or did you do a fresh install of it?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

i'm using a starling netbook and using version 9.04 of ubuntu. i'm running from the account i created when i first set up my computer. i didn't have any problems with vlc or movie player until i did a partial upgrade a couple weeks ago. and i just noticed last night that the dvds were not playing.

Beans

also, on update manager it shows rhythmbox, vlc, and vlc-nox (without X support) but it will not let me click on them. does that have anything to do with my problems playing dvds?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Have you tried playing a DVD with totem-xine? This is the only player I've had repeat success with. The totem that comes with Ubuntu (totem-gstreamer?) gives me problems as does VLC.

Totem-xine might be old, but it works on my Karmic system here at work just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK, the partial upgrade issue most likely is the cause.

Try running these commands...

sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get --assume-yes dist-upgrade
    sudo reboot -h now

Did that fix it?

If not, open Synaptic Package Manager and click on Edit > Fix Broken Packages. Take a screenshot of what you see.

EDIT: When you say "partial upgrade" do you mean a partial upDATE? Or do you mean you tried to go to 9.10 and it failed?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC